Fire in New Liberty, October 10, 1904

Monday morning early our little town was almost entirely consumed by fire, and as we have no good way of combating such a conflagration and but little water, the flames had their own way.  It was a serious loss to all who suffered and it will take much time and expense to rebuild.  The following is a list of the ones who were burned out: The fire started in the livery stable of M. B. Hanlon, and in a short time it was a roaring furnace communicating the flames to other buildings.  The stable, harness, buggies and seven horses were destroyed, entailing a loss of $2,200 to Mr. Hanlon, on which there was no insurance.  J. C. Blackwell owned the livery stable building.

Lewis Sullivan's handsome frame cottage was entirely destroyed, loss $4,000; no insurance. 
Mrs. Mollie Vanderen's residence, loss $3,500; insurance $1,000;
Mrs. Reville hotel building, loss $5,000, insurance $1,000;
W. S. Adams, household goods, insured for $200;
Thomas Devore, household goods, postoffice fixtures, etc.; 
John B. Brown who recently moved his hardware store from Warsaw lost his entire stock valued at $3,000 on which there is no insurance. 
Mrs. Ella Bond, residence and storeroom occupied by W. R. Alexander, loss $6,000, insurance $1,500;
W. R. Alexander, merchandise, loss $5,000, insurance $2,500;
Odd Fellows lodge room and storeroom, loss $3,000, insurance, $1,200.
W. B. Bond furniture, clothing, etc.,  loss $1,000, no insurance;
Allie Frazier, brick and frame buildings, barn, etc., loss $3,000, no insurance;
Mrs. Sallie Gayle, residence, loss $4,000 on which she has an insurance of $1,500 on building and $500 on furniture;
Mrs. Mat Alexander, damage to residence $500 with no insurance.
The drug stocks of Dr. J. W. Connell and and Butler Garvey were considerably damaged;
Rebecca Ford, colored, lost her home valued at $700 on which there was no insurance;
W. V. Hughes, butcher shop;
George Strother, barber shop.

The total loss is estimated at about $40,000 and is the worst fire that ever visited this quarter.  The fire is supposed to have resulted from the carelessness of negroes employed at the stable in dropping a match after putting away a horse.


from the New Liberty column in the Warsaw Independent, October 15, 1904