|First Baptist Church of Dayton|
Built in 1895, the steeple blew off in in the tornado's of 1915. The Dayton GAR section of Northern Kentucky Views has a few words on the history of the Dayton Baptist, here.
|“Ten persons who have joined the Baptist Church at Dayton, Kentucky, were immersed in the Ohio river at that place, on Sunday afternoon, by Rev. H. E. Spillman.” Courier-Journal, March 17, 1869|
Tower Methodist Episcopal Church
On 5th, between Dayton and McKinney, c. 1910
Eighth & Terrace
This church burned down on January 2, 1957.
The new building was dedicated on March 8, 1959.
Notice the steeples.
This is the Presbyterian Church's Rev. John Ervin, who was pastor at the church for 65 years. Ervin Terrace is named in his honor. He died in August, 1940, after doing his second funeral of the day. On more than one occasion, he held a funeral for a person he had baptized as a child.
|1908||In the 1913 Flood|
Francis Church in Dayton
built in 1865, at 3rd & Benham
It was a German Catholic church, more or less destroyed by the floods of 1907 and 1913.
A little background on St. Frances is here.
When they built St. Francis, they expected to excavate gold, here.
The St. Francis Cemetery is on the hill behind the old F&N
There's a list of who's buried in it at this site.
St. Bernard, Dayton
Rev. Paul Ryan's History of St. Bernard here.
History of the Bellevue-Dayton Church of Christ is here.
“Leo Bird, a free love preacher who spent the winter here [Falmouth] preaching his new faith, was badly beaten when returning from his church to his home and ordered to leave town. He left at once, or in all likelihood he would have been lunched. His methods and his doctrines were extremely distasteful to many in this section and some weeks ago drove ex-Sheriff Fassett and his wife crazy. As a result they are now in the eastern lunatic asylum at Lexington, Ky., and the belief is that they will never be restored to reason. Bird hailed from Dayton, Ky., where he is said to have a wife and child whom he refused to support.” Crawfordsville(Ind.) Weekly Journal, April 24, 1896