B. K. Bailey's Drug Store
Is that B K Bailey standing in front? Don't know.
We know this building stood where the present Warsaw
Pharmacy now stands. That's US 42 going toward
Louisville to the left.
|“Warsaw's river front has taken on a cityfied air since S. P. Grubbs' coal elevator has begun operations. The coal digger arrived Friday and started to unload a barge of slack coal for the Warsaw Furniture Manufacturing Company Saturday. The elevator is quite an improvement over the old way of unloading barges as the coal is scooped out of the barge by machinery and hauled to the top of the incline where it is dumped into a large hopper, which in turn loads the wagons as they drive under it, doing away with much of the labor required in the past.” Warsaw Independent, March 16, 1910|
|S. P. Grubbs, Coal Dealer, Between Main Cross and Second, on Locust|
|Clore Printing. Home of the
Warsaw Leader, c. 1910.
|The Tobacco Prizing House
(Across Main Cross from
Gardt's Tavern, under the hill)
A remembrance of Sam Clore.
|Interior of Hall & Abbott's
Hardware Store. A little
background on this one, here.
|Interior of Perry Weldon's Grocery
Dean Richards, Barker Holcomb,
unknown, Perry Weldon, unknown
|Interior of Drug Store
clerk thought to be Nettie Weldon
|The Clover Farm Store, c. 1937||Weldon's Grocery Store US 42 at Main Cross
(man posing with bike is Jack Howe)
|This early drug store actually sat on the court house square. On the southwest corner was an old jail. Details on the folks in the picture, here.|
“Keene's tobacco warehouse in Warsaw is nearly finished.” Courier-Journal, March 14, 1870
|This is a Coke Distribution truck, outside their warehouse at Locust & Main Cross. That's Gardt's Saloon on the
left. That's George Henry on the truck, and a father & son both named Elliott Breeden
Later part of the old Maines
|Louis Gutting's Meat Market
east side of Main Cross
That's Clarence Abbott, Hugh Griffin,
Mr. Brown, Gutting (in the shadows)
and unknown. Did you pick up on
the dog in the store behind Mr. Brown?
Close up's here.
J. H. McDanell & Son
|Herrick's Carriage Shop
Across 42 from the
|Warsaw Transfer Company
east side of Main Cross,
between Main and Market
|This restaurant was just west
of the Warsaw Pharmacy.
If you can identify the guys in the pic,
please email us.
|George Thompson's “Crown
Mills” Flouring Plant.
Later, Wilson's Lumber Company.
“Madison, March 9. - Thompson's flour mill, elevator, and warehouse, at Warsaw, Ky., burned last night. Loss heavy.” Indianapolis News, March 9, 1894
Lanham's Furniture Shops
sorta where Kentucky Auto Parts is now
Folks in the right pic identified here.
The Lanham Factory burned down on June 27, 1940
McDanell Furniture Factory
McDanell Factory Burns in 1905; is rebuilt, story here.
|There were three Warsaw Furniture Factories. McDanell's was between Second and Sparta Pike, behind the residences on the south side of Pearl. Lanham's (you may also hear it described as Prill's, who were later owners) was on Main Street, behind where Kentucky Motors is today. It burned down on June 27, 1940. The third, the Bogardus Factory, later owned by Barry Brown, was begun in 1902, originally made dining room and hall furniture which was shipped to all 50 states, Canada, Mexico and South America. It was across U.S. 42 from the Cemetery, and was only torn down in the last decade or so. More modern pictures of the inside of this latter factory are here.|
Wm. K. Robinson opens a jewelry store. In 1836!
Warsaw Independent, 1902
|Thanks to David Webb for sending us this Kentucky Post article on The Country Kitchen, and its proprietor, Bubby Hall. Read it here.||The 1906 Willadean Nursery Catalog is here (pdf). Offices in Warsaw's Craig Building.|
|“Walton, Ky., - The Consolidated Telephone Company of Walton, Kentucky, of which W. G. Black is general manager, is re-building the telephone lines and establishing a trunk line, metallic circuit, between Walton and Warsaw. This will, when completed, connect this territory by long-distance service with Louisville and Cincinnati. Mr. Black announces that he will rebuild all of the lines of the Gallatin County Telephone Company, which he recently purchased from Harold Brown, and make his system of the best.” From Telephony, Vol. 59, 1910, p. 471.|
|Silversmith sets up shop in 1899. Turns out he had ulterior motives. Here.||Gallatin County News Editor Ed Lamkin sells paper, here.|
|The Warsaw News packs it in, here.||Warsaw newspaper changes its name in 1875, here.|
|“One thousand sheep were shipped from Gallatin county to New York last week.” Courier-Journal, June 9, 1871||“Several ladies of Warsaw have taken advantage of the late 'law for the benefit of inebriates,' and have posted notices in all the bar-rooms in town warning the proprietors not to sell or give their husbands any intoxicating liquors, under penalty of the law. The penalty is $20 fine for each offense." Courier-Journal, April 13,1871|
|“We are informed by a gentleman just from Warsaw, Ky., that a few nights since the watch and jewelry establishment of a Mr. Russell was entered and some twenty watches taken. The their has not been detected yet, but we are informed that he is supposed to be in or about Vevay.” Vevay Reveille, July 6, 1854|
|Early Warsaw druggists were H. D. and Sam Clore, who bought their business from Henry Peak on February 11, 1877. Other Warsaw druggists included B. K. Bailey, and Horatio Turpin Chambers, son of Dr. Absalom B. Chambers.||“Steam was raised in the new furniture factory at Warsaw last Saturday, and Miss Nell White, daughter of J. W. White, one of the directors, announced the fact by a long shrill blast on the company whistle. The Supt. George W. Mershon, is of the opinion that he will be ready to start next month.” The Owenton News-Herald, June 22, 1905.|
|Thanks to Dale Samuel for sending us these old ads from a 19th century Warsaw Independent|