Second Street, looking West
Provision & Munitions Wagon Train, 1861
The government shipped 5,000 guns to Lexington to support Union troops.
They came by boat to Maysville, and went overland to Lexington.
Fire at Beechwood, c. 1978
from a Facebook post by Mark Humphries
|Beechwood Park Scenes|
Lucy Lee's Beautiful Beechwood is here. (pdf)
|Original Maysville Library||First Street, 1969||Maysville Country Club|
|A little background.|
|The Maysville Bombs||
The Maysville - Germantown
|The Circus rolls into Maysville|
a.k.a, The Poor House
from a Ron Bailey post on Facebook
|Flood Wall Construction
Begun in 1949, completed in 1956
|Maysville Opera House
from a Ron Bailey Facebook post
“A young man of this city was arrested on the Elm Street Fair grounds for
gambling. But he was released when it was ascertained that the other fellow
had knocked him down, beat him mercilessly, and then ran off with his stakes.”
Maysville Eagle, as reported in the Courier-Journal of September 26, 1873
“A Maysville policeman was fined $10 for viciously striking a horse.”
Georgetown (Ohio) News-Democrat, June 15, 1899
|The old Maysville ballpark|
|Government Street||Limestone Street|
|From a Facebook post by John Henderson|
Newtown Bridge Construction
East Second going over Limestone Creek
From a Facebook post by Ron Bailey
At the golf course. And not known for its stability.
Maysville Jockey Club, 1839
|Grave Alley, 1940 (from 2nd to 3rd, between Wall and Sutton)||Sixth Street
From a Facebook post by Camilla Kehoe
|Gold Star List|
West Fourth Street (pdf) is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Downtown Maysville (pdf) is also on the National Register of Historic Places.
Celebrating the American Centennial, 1876
Showing the Croquet Depot?
|The nineteenth and early 20th centuries saw elaborate decorations for celebrations, as seen in these two images of Second Street, likely from the late 1800's.|
|Ferris Wheel||Maysville Scene
From an old stereoview, c. 1880
|At “a fair near Maysville”
A diving horse act was a thing, c. 1890-1910
Wikipedia has more on such acts.
|P.T. Barnum's Great World's Fair, Museum, Menagerie, Caravan, Circus, and Colossal Expression of All Nations left, August 7, 1875|
Two horsepo . . . uh, mulepower Trolley
|Streetcar driver Milton T. McClanahan, 1930,
from a Facebook post by his grandson, Alex McClanahan
|Trolley in the snow|
|Maysville Trolley, c. 1930||The summer cars had no sides. This is c. 1910||Over the trestle to the fairgrounds|
|The trolley in Maysville began, horse-drawn, on August 14, 1883. It converted to electricity in 1891, and ran through the December 31, 1936. In its last year, it carried 400,000 passengers, but lost money. It ran from a turn-around loop east of the cemetery, along Second Street to Bridge, along Third to Market, and down Market back to Second. It followed Second to another turn-around loop, just East of Beasley Creek. There were two short passing tracks, one between Commerce and Poplar, and one between Wall and Sutton. The tracks got ripped out in 1942: scrap for the war effort.|
A 1910 item on the Maysville Street Railroad is here.
|The name Limestone comes from an expedition in 1773 of nine men, including Captain Thomas Young, Captain John Hedges, and Lawrence Darnell. They guided their boat, from Pittsburg, into the Limestone Creek cove, and camped there for a number of days. It was Hedges who named the place Limestone. See G. Glenn Clift's History of Maysville and Mason County.|
Former President John Quincy Adams visited Maysville on November 14, 1843.
|The first birth's in Mason County|
|Col. Joseph Logan||John Logan||McKinley's Blockhouse||September 27, 1785|
|Mrs. Elizabeth Forman (nee Dolly Wood)||Washington||December 14, 1786|
|John Mefford||George Mefford||Maysville||December 4, 1787|
|Mrs. Joseph Morris (nee May Overfield)||Kenton's Station||September 6, 1788|
|Mrs. Emily (Milly) Hancock||Jacob Boone||Maysville||December 6, 1788|
|Isaac Thomas||Mefford's Station||November 8, 1789|
|From G. Glenn Clift's History of Maysville and Mason County, who cites Collins' History of Kentucky as his source. Why neither sought to name mothers who just might have been involved in these births we have no further information.|
|“At Maysville, in Kentucky, between Huntington and Cincinnati, there are two extensive cotton factories and several iron foundries. The town contains many handsome streets, and is the entry port for the north-eastern section of the State. It is also the most extensive hemp market in the whole country.” Scribners Monthly, December 1874.|
You can find 50 or so Maysville scenes from the late 1960's and early 1970's at UK. The relevant UK site is here.
S. J. Daugherty, Monuments
Thanks to Bill and Judy Cooper for this one.
|Union Soldiers Monument,
|Foster Monument Construction||Maysville's Murray &
(The actual statute here
is in Flemingsburg)
|Scene from the Democratic
Barbeque in Maysville, 1909
|Entrance to the
|US Post Office and
We've also seen a reference to the Pastime Theatre as the Palace Theatre.
Talking Pictures!! OMG! It's 1913, and they have talking pictures at the Washington Theater! Here.
|Slave Quarters, 1907|
Before the Civil War, this building was used for housing slaves who were considered unruly, or who were caught trying to use the underground railroad. It stood on Second Street where the high school auditorium was built.
The Russell Theatre, Maysville
|Read the story of the grand opening of the Russell Theatre here.||A description of the Russell from 1935 is here.
|The Russell Theatre has its own website which you can find here.||The Russell Theater (pdf) is on the National Register of Historic Places.|
The Boy's Club
The Limestone Center is at this location these days.
|Graves of Jacob and Mary
Boone. He ran a tavern in Maysville,
and died in 1828
|Sanborn Fire Map of
Second and Sutton
Find out how to see the entire
set of Maysville Sanborn's here.
A Walking Tour of Maysville, with descriptions of notable sites. Here. (pdf)
from the Brooklyn Daily Eagle, February 15, 1891
|Maysville's name changed from Limestone to Maysville, after John May. Who was John May?|
|“Maysville, Ky, is a thriving and active place, and the county seat of Mason Co. It is situated on a narrow bottom, between the high hills which rise just behind it and the Ohio. It is the depot of the goods and merchandise intended to supply the northeastern part of the state of Kentucky, which are imported from the eastern cities. It is a well-built, handsome city, and contains a fine city hall, several churches, a bank, two printing offices, seminaries, public schools, cotton-factories, etc. etc. Pop. between 5,000 and 6,000.” from Appleton's Southern and Western Travelers' Guide, 1849|
|1832 book reviewer questions, sort of, authors judgment of Maysville, here.||Prohibition on pool tables repealed in 1866.||East Maysville incorporates as a separate city in 1847.|
|W.C. Marshall dies in shooting in Brooksville; his cousin James shoot man dead the same day on Maysville, here.||A disastrous fire consumed major parts of Maysville in 1847, here.||A disastrous fire consumed major parts of Maysville in 1866, here.|
|2nd and 3rd Streets changed to one way streets in 1952. People approved.||Richard Stanton and several others were arrested on October 2, 1861 for being “an active secessionist.” The official accounts of what followed are here. (pdf)|
|“Augusta has established telegraphic communications with Maysville.” Courier-Journal, November 4, 1876||Maysville declares war on rats in 1923.||Maysville petitioned the State of Virginia in 1787 to become officially recognized as a town.|
|Two similar but different pieces by Alice Taylor Gill at the right:||Some Glimpses of Early Maysville is here. (pdf)||Some Glimpses of Kentucky and Early Maysville is here. (pdf)|
|Can you name the fourteen - 14 - differently named neighborhoods of Maysville? Minkville? Plugtown? We can.||“The [Maysville] Bulletin says velocipedes [bicycles] are becoming as common as drays in Maysville.” Courier-Journal, March 9, 1869|
|“The Maysville Trotting Park will be used as a fair ground next fall.” Courier-Journal, January 5, 1868||“Tourists going to points in Kentucky generally take the evening boat for Maysville, Kentucky, from which point to Lexington, Kentucky, there is a macadamized road which has few equals in the country.” From The Wheelman, An Illustrated of Cycling Literature and News, October, Vol. 1, 1882-March 1883.|
|Shootout on the streets of Maysville, here.||Letters from 1860 from a Maysville lawyer an his brother discuss slavery, here (pdf).||“Another sad affair.”|
|“The Fair of the North Kentucky Agricultural and Mechanical Association convened at Maysville. It is the most successful of the kind ever held there. The number present on the first day was estimated at from ten to twelve thousand.” Sacramento Daily Union, October 10, 1859||“Improvement is said to be the watchword in Maysville. The Eagle declares that the city ‘seems to have awakened from its slumberous lethargy and leaped into the arena of civilized progression like a giant refreshed from its sleep.’” Courier-Journal July 7, 1868||“On Friday next James Love is to be hung in Maysville for rape. This will be the first white man ever hung in Kentucky for that crime.” Daily Courier, February 4, 1868|
|An 1804 description of Maysville / Limestone, here. What else was happening in 1804? Here.|
|Courier-Journal says this 1898 fire was the worst fire one in the history of Maysville.||There were also big fires in 1848, and 1849.||An 1834 description of Maysville is here.|
An 1871 city directory of Maysville lists, with addresses, each of the towns citizens, here (pdf).
(and by “citizens,” since it's 1871, we're talking white men and a few widows)
It also has a listing of businesses, by business type, and with some ads, here (pdf).
|The May 15,1875 Maysville Republican was chock full of interesting data:|
|Post Office Hours (Open Sunday)||A Business Directory||A Church Directory||Mason Co State Coach timetable|
The jockey shown here is Arthur Pickens, whose wife was from Maysville, and Maysville was Pickens home after he retired. He's in the Jockey Hall of Fame, had 76 career wins, and in 1908 won the Kentucky Derby atop Stone Street. Read more about him at the Maysville Ledger Independent, here, or at Wikipedia.
Stone Street won the 1908 Derby, but still holds the record for the slowest winning speed ever in a Kentucky Derby. He died a gelding.
Market House, 1829-1883. More on the Market House is here.
|A correspondent from “Washington City,” who signs himself “O.B.,” wrote a series of sixteen letters describing his memories from the Maysville of yesteryear, 1832. Some are long; some short. All are pdf's. The Market House picture above is also used by him.|
|Letter 1||Letter 2||Letter 3||Letter 4|
|Letter 5||Letter 6||Letter 7||Letter 8|
|Letter 9||Letter 10||Letter 11||Letter 12|
|Letter 13||Letter 14||Letter 15||Letter 16|
|“$50,000 worth of meat is annually sold from the Maysville Market House. This does not include the 3-5,000 sheep butchered for their hides and tallow, or cattle bought by the butchers for export.” from the Louisville Morning Courier, September 13, 1845|
A Walking Tour of Maysville