a.k.a. Mount Vernon, a.k.a. Grant / a.k.a. McVie or Maxville or Mackville
The Peoples Deposit Bank
|Bank Interior, 1930
The two men are the Cashier, C. E.
McNeeley, right, and the Assistant
Cashier, John S. Clore
Grant Christian Church
Belleview Baseball Team,
|The Belleview Store.
Read about it here.
|The above three views are all from Belleview Baptist's excellent Bicentennial book.|
The old Belleview Post Office is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Read the application here. (pdf)
Western Rural, July 29, 1876
Description of Belleview in 1897
Belleview's butcher's wares. Including rats.
J. W. Kite's Store,
W. H. Stamper's Store,
|south of Belleview||Who was Hensley? Find out, here.|
|Belleview Baptist is on the web here.||You can find a history of their church there, or find an 1903 version, when the church was called the Middle Creek Baptist Church, here.||More on Middle Creek|
|You can read their National Register of Historic Places application.|
McVille is pronounced as if it were “Mackville.”
It was founded by brothers named McMullen, in 1881.
The Clore House in Belleview
October 8, 1903
From a Facebook post by Samuel Michels
|from the Ohio Side|
|Thanks to Travis Brown and Karl Lietzenmayer|
|These three images are from the construction of Lock & Dam #38 at McVille.
They're likely from the summer of 1922.
More on the earlier series of Ohio River locks and dams is here.
25 minutes on Lock & Dam #38,
|1922, exact date unknown||November 17, 1922||July 27, 1922|
|1922, exact date unknown||November 9, 1922||October 25, 1922||1922, exact date unknown|
The first boat thru the old McVille dam and lock was the steamer U. S. Margaret, on
October 15, 1925. She's shown here in Pittsburgh in 1920.
List of flood levels recorded at Dam #38
They were worried that the 1937 Flood might carry Dam #38 away.
Caroline Williams' Lock and Dam #38, 1953
|To make way for the new locks and dams, #38 was blown to oblivion on October 8, 1962. 450 pounds of dynamite took it down in five seconds.|
|“Charles Mauer, who recently
purchased the Widows Home in Belleview has razed the old building.
It was built during the war of the rebellion. Two or three
times there has lived in the house at the same time, two and three
widows, and once there were five - hence the name of 'Widows Home.”
The Boone County Recorder, January 12, 1906
|Silas Dinsmoor advertises for help, here.||“Three deaths from cholera have occurred at Bellevue [sic], Ky, a village of less than one hundred inhabitants, situated on the river, some thirty-five miles below Cincinnati. Four or five more cases have occurred within the past few days.” Madison Daily Courier, June 8, 1849|
|Dinsmore Farm's web site.||The Dinsmore House (pdf) is on the National Register of Historic Places. The application has pictures, history, a map, and architectural details.|
|Additional homes in or near Belleview on the National Register of Historic Places include (all pdf's): the Clore House, the Flick House, James Rogers House, John J. Walton House, the Jonas Clore House and the other Jonas Clore House.|
|“Last Monday evening, about 9 p.m., the fiery fiend for the first time in this history of Bellevue [sic] made its mark there. The property burned was that owned by Jesse Hewitt, and commonly known as the Barker stand, The entire building was consumed, but Mr. Hewitt was fortunate enough to save everything else. The fire is supposed to have originated from a defective flue. ” Covington Journal, April 23, 1876|
|Improvements in Belleview in 1880.|
Belleview was platted at Mount Vernon in 1815, changed to Grant in 1869, and to Belleview in 1883.
Fire in Belleview, 1892, here.
The Burlington and Bellevue turnpike, and a little info on Belleview, in 1877, is here.
There's a ferry in the foreground, but note the steamer in the background. The Swan was built in McVille in 1907, and ran a Vevay/Rising Sun/Vevay Route. We're not positive where this one was taken, but the Whitlock name indicates it might be Rising Sun - Rabbit Hash.
The Laughry Club, between Aurora and Rising Sun, Indiana