The old Mill at Milldale
|The earlier name for Latonia was Milldale. Did the name originate from an old Mill, as the item above from the January 16, 1923 Kentucky Post asserts? Or maybe from the Latonia Distillery (below), earlier the Milldale Distillery, which was named after an owner named Mills?|
|Latonia Deposit Bank||Latonia Deposit Bank,
a.k.a., the Bird Building
|The Bird Building, 1910|
|Boeckley's Latonia Pharmacy
DeCoursey and Winston,
|Oscar Boeckley's Drug Store
3702 DeCoursey, Latonia
|Boeckley's was founded in 1917 at the location on the left, above. Sometime in the early 1930's he moved across the street to the corner of DeCoursey and Southern, on the right, above.|
|Ritte's Corner||First National Bank|
Why is the bank's name printed on the bill? Wikipedia knows.
| 50th Anniversary Picture
of FNB Officials
|Employees at Latonia's
First National Bank
|First National Bank of Latonia Holds Opening House, July 26, 1958, to celebrate their remodeling. Names of people in image on the right are here.|
|FNB Latonia was established on March 27, 1902, and was acquired by Covington's First National Bank on August 28, 1961.|
Nosy citizens trying to look into Shoborg's shop.
|J. H. Kruse||Charles B. Schoborg||Henry Feldman|
These three men, and several others, were the victims of one of the ugliest episodes in Northern Kentucky History. Usually referred to collectively as the Schoborg trials, this German Shoemaker and other prominent citizens of Latonia were tried and convicted for utterances it was claimed they made. It was 1917; fear, paranoia, and hatred for German citizens was rampant. Men with multiple sons at the front were being accused of being un-American. Shoborg was a shoe repairman, who had a little office in the First National Bank Building, above. The crazies put a “dictograph” in his shop - in essence, they bugged his store, but could only listen; the machine didn't record. We urge you to read Lisa Gilliam's great piece from the Kentucky Heritage Magazine, which will give you all the ugly details. It's a big pdf, but, again, we urge you to read it. You can find it here. Thanks to Lisa Gilham and the Kentucky Heritage magazine for permission to post it!
The Kentucky Theater, 1939
15 West Southern Avenue
|The Delbee, 4003 deCoursey. The business was owned by A. J. Delinger and Harry Beerman. hence the name.||Romanowitz's Grocery
from a Facebook post by Charles Geise
|Seifert's Bakery||Seifert's Bakery|
|This 36th & Decoursey bakery indoor photo
shows Frederick Joseph Seifert, baker and his
sister Clara Frances Seifert, clerk. Both resided
at the family home, 508 E. 16th St., Covington.
He rented a section of the building 1929 thru
c. 1935 from owner/landlord Mrs M. Carroll.
|1935 - 1939
photos courtesy Frederick
and Catherine Seifert
|Liberty Fruit Company, Latonia, “a sanitary daylight one story building
finished in 1941”
227 W. Southern Avenue
| Maraschino Cherry's and Glace Fruit
Founded here by the Bettman family in 1914, moved to this location in 1937. Bought by Pillsbury in 1991, sold to Senaca Foods in 1997, who closed the doors in June of 2000. At one time, over 300 people were employed here. R.I.P.
|The T. W. Spinks Brick Plant, Latonia|
Spinks was just north of what today is Summit Drive.
This map is a very tiny portion of a very large set of maps published by the Sanborn Fire Map Co
in the late 1800's and early 1900's. You can see every last one. Learn how here.
|Bob's Variety Store, proprietor
Bob Evans, 40th and Decoursey,
opened in 1947,
a.k.a Bob's Five and Ten
From a Facebook post by Robert Ballard
|Murchison's Appliances, 38th & Winston|
Jim Browne and his 1930 Model AA Truck, from which he sold paper goods,
at home, at 3324 Mable.
From a Facebook post by Lynda Meyer
Reams Radio Shop
|Doc's Pure Oil
34th & DeCoursey
You may also know it as
Mac's, or, S & W Auto.
Thanks to Gary Michael David who posted
this pic of his Dad's place on Facebook
Crescent Ice Cream,
Ryan Brothers Campus Cafe
Marion F. Stout Co, 1923
Manufacturers of Concrete Tile and Block
34th & Decoursey
From a Facebook post by Donald Henderson
|J. W. Huff, Undertaker and Livery Stable|
Henry Heile & Son, 1901
J. H. Hermesch & Co
J. Weller's Milldale Factory
This is a Hortonspheroid. It held 15,000 42 gallon bbls. of butane. 1941
The plant shown here was in Minneapolis, but we posted
it for the picture of the Nichols Brothers, whose grocery was at the northwest
corner of Huntington and Taylor (now 40th) in 1910
"In Latonia, Kentucky, Cornucopia Vineyard, the firm of Messrs. Corneau and Son, associated with [Cincinnati's] Longworth's Wine House, produced 245,000 bottles of sparkling wine in 1853." Andrea Dee, writing in Northern Kentucky Heritage, Spring-Summer 2012.
|"One plan, supposed to be a great improvement, is that of separating the stems from the grapes before they are placed upon the press, as they are supposed to give an austere and bitter taste to the wine, and prevent the severe pressing of the cheese. This process has been previously used by Mr. Conneau at his excellent establishment on Bank Lick, near Latonia Springs; a locality which appears admirably adapted to the culture of the grape, as has been already approved to some extent by numerous thriving vineyards - among which are those of Messrs. Jones, Mosher, Park, Conneau, etc. The last named gentleman, whose father is an old vigneron from France, where he was familiar with the business from childhood, has introduced an apparatus for separating the stems and crushing the grapes; it is exceedingly simple, and appears to succeed very well."|
Read all about Corneau's apparatus here. (pdf)
Charles Mills, Proprietor of the
|Map of the Distillery,
under new owners, 1910
|Details about the distillery at this site.|
Latonia bank fails.
"Mr. D. Beets of Latonia, Ky., is here this week
looking after his lumber interest. He is one of the largest
manufacture and dealers in the country, having many plants scattered
from Prentiss, Miss., to Latonia, Ky."
There's a site that's put Johnny's 1977 toy catalog online. See it here.