|Proposed new building||Latonia Christian Church||Latonia Christian Church|
|Latonia Christian. In 1931, Latonia Christian was the fifth largest Christian Church in Kentucky:|
|Lexington Central||2,050 members|
|Lexington, Broadway||1,894 members|
|Louisville, First||1,650 members|
Evangelists at Latonia Christian
The moving force behind Latonia Christian was the Rev. H. C. Runyan.
|Calvary Baptist Church, Covington, at the Corner of Southern and Tibbatts, it was partially built by its members to save money. A fire station occupied the site previously.|
from the back:
“The Church with a Heart in the Heart of Latonia”
W. Southern and Tibbatts
D. B. Eastep, D. D. Pastor
(Opposite Latonia Firehouse)
St. Stephens, c. 1910
Frances Keller Barr wrote a short history about St. Stephens, here (pdf).
|“This modest wooden church spawned two different congregations. It was built in 1867 by the Episcopal mission, which developed into St. Stephens. Henry Feltman, then conducting Sunday school for Milldale residents, purchased the little church to establish Trinity Methodist Church in 1890. The congregation grew, and in 1910 they sold the building to Albert Dehlinger, who moved it for his new Delbee Theater.” Image and text from Lisa Curtiss Gilham's Latonia: Images of America.|
Methodist Episcopal Church, Latonia
(It was earlier the home of St. Stephens Episcopal Church)
Milldale Baptist Mission, erected in 1896, and becoming the First Baptist Church of Latonia in 1900
|Home Mr. and Mrs. O. M. Johnson, 31st and Rogers, where first services of Latonia Baptist were held.||First Church Bldg., 38th & DeCoursey, 1876,||Construction scene from 1916.|
On the right, lists Rev. T. C. Crume as pastor
Ku Klux Klan meet at the Baptist Church, 1924.
|St. Mark United Church of Christ
A brief history of Latonia's Church of Christ is here.
Church Street, Latonia, Kentucky
You can argue whether St. Anthony's is/was in Latonia, Forest Hills, Decoursey,
or Taylor Mill, but wherever it is, the Rev. Paul Ryan's history of it is here.