|Looking North from Forest Hills,
Taken by Ira Beam, July 4, 1906
engraving by J. L. Trout
Painting by Kate Reno Miller Painting (1874-1929)
Maybe from Devou? Maybe from Eden Park?
|Barber and Candy Shop, 1923, at Altamont and John Streets
in the photo, l-r, Gus Sheehan, Leo Mueller, and Jim Finke
Highway Avenue, in the 1937 Flood
|A West Covington Methodist
Episcopal Promotional piece
|St. John's Congregational
in West Covington
History of St. John's Congregational Church of West Covington is here. (pdf)
|As the Union Methodist Church||Original Epworth Methodist||New Epworth Methodist|
|History of Epworth is here.||Dedication Program (pdf)|
|St. Ann, West Covington|
|The Reverend Paul Ryan's History of the Diocese of Covington, Kentucky, from 1954, included a history of St. Ann's (West Covington)|
|Did you know that St. Ann's was once a destination of pilgrims from far and wide?|
|West Covington legally established, in 1858.|
“All of this good fortune inspired a lot of rumors about treasure buried all over this area. In West Covington, City Marshal Herman Barkhau complained that prospectors had dug hundreds of holes all over his town for 30 years or more. An old rumor claimed that robbers had stolen $50,000 from a Cincinnati bank during the Civil War and hid it – just before they were captured – on the Kentucky side of the river. On their release from prison they found that nature had erased all of their landmarks and they never recovered the loot.” Kentucky Post, October 5, 1899.
. . . but still, they dig.
|William Behringer, of Behringer-Crawford fame, created a journal to hold all of his postcards and pictures. It's here. (pdf) Good stuff!||History of West Covington from c. 1878, here (pdf).|
|Earlier names of West Covington were Economy, Forrest Hill, and Botany Hills.||Here's the Cincinnati Atlas' description of “Forrest Hill” from 1844.|
|“We can never be perfectly happy until the Covington reporters for the Cincinnati papers learn to distinguish the difference between Ludlow and West Covington - or Economy as they persist in calling it. Recently in an account of a trial at Covington, in which the plaintiff, defendant, and witnesses were from Ludlow - and there was the usual number of the latter - the whole credit of the affair was given to “Economy,” and the city Ludlow as being described as being “at the foot of Economy Hill.” from the Ludlow Reporter, October 3, 1874.|