37 Alta Vista, Walton
Alta Vista Drive, Circa 1948
Another early Alta Vista scene
In 1955, they assessed Alta Vista property owners for new sidewalks.
Hurt / Miller House
Mattie and Anna Hudson's Home
The old Chambers & Grubbs Funeral Home is on the National Register of Historical Places.
The pictures from that application are here (pdf).
|Elva Hughes Home?||Mattheney Home||
Nick Welsh Home
|These four homes were where the Mary Grubbs Highway meets US 25 these days.|
Perry Mann Home
|The Montgomery House, on Beaver Road, roughly across from Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic Church & Academy|
|The Home of R. I. Ratcliff, in Walton,
|Ellis McElroy Home
5 doors north of the Christian Church
|Looking South, leaving Walton
That's Travis Dunn's Gulf Station behind you.
from a Facebook post by John Denver Praither
South Main Street
A Ransler House, somewhere in Walton
|South Main Street
The Dr. Harry Mann / Guy Carlisle Home
|Still standing, and now a private residence, Mag Thomas'
boarding house is on the east
side of main, across from what is now the library.
Lots of the pictures of old Walton were given to us by Ed and Janet Harden, (Thanks!) who got them from the old Brakefield Drug Store, where it is assumed they passed from the pharmacist prior to Mr. Brakefield, one Robert W. Jones. The three pictures above were in the group, so we assume they're Walton, but who knows?? If you do, we'd love to hear from you. inifed Miller's response to our request above is here.
Ads from Robert W. Jones' Drug Store, and some pics of the front window display are here.
And then there's Walton's most famous home, the Gaines House
|In the 1950's & 60's the Gaines home was John Gault's Antiques|
|This is the ad for the auction of John Gault's treasures. It lasted for 12 days. To quote the ad, “Plan your vacation now to attend this one of a kind sale. The variety, quality and condition are unbelievable.” It wasn't hyperbole. from the Tri-State Trader, September 1, 1979|
The Boone County Recorder published this piece on the home on July 26, 1899,
an undated piece (we'd guess 1930's - 40's) of unknown authorship here (pdf), while last is Elizabeth
Coomer's very fine piece called Gaines Tavern (pdf).
A contemporary brochure from the Friends of Gaines Tavern is here. (pdf)
The Abner Gaines House (pdf) is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The application has pictures, history, a map, and architectural details.
|Abner Gaines||Susan Elizabeth Gaines|
|From a Facebook post by J. D. Mayo|
Pete Water's House
John & Nell Campbell, Oz & Carrie
| Bill Lancaster Home
South Main, just
beyond the city limits
Log Cabin near Walton, built by Cincinnati Fire Chief Barney Houston.
from the November 25, 1934 Cincinnati Enquirer, a drawing by Caroline Williams
Believed to have been on North Main, across from Haley Lane
Thanks to Buddy Grubbs for info on this one.
|left, Coke Hall Home;
right, Romes Home;
across the street from
the homes at the right
|Dr. Ryle Home & Office, 1974||Home next to Christian Church,
once a Loomis Home, later the
Edwin Johnson home
|Both of these were where the Christian Church Parking Lot is today|
The first house in Walton is reported to have been built on the site of the Christian Church in 1790 by Hamilton Johnson.
|These houses, in or around Walton, are on the National Register of Historic Places and are all pdf's. Generally, each will have maps, histories, and floor plans, as well as interior and exterior photographs.|
|Scott Chambers House||Chandler House||Code House||Edwards House|
|Harvey Hicks House||Hudson House||Hughes House||Clifton-Mayhough|
|Clifton-Mayhough, II||Tomlin House||Nicholas Blau House||Robert Chambers House|
|Hind Farm||Wallace House|
|Looking North, from the Baptist Church
the smaller house on the right is the Christian Church parsonage; the larger white home to the left was the
Vallandingham / McElroy home.
|Rouse/Nuemeister/Brewster Home. That's A. M. Rouse, Asa Rouse's great-
grandfather in the foreground
77 South Main Street
Corner of Church and Main
That's John Stephenson's home on the corner.
The brick building was Doc Webster's Radio and TV Shop