Other, East

Campbell County, Kentucky Campbell County, Kentucky Campbell County, Kentucky

The Exploding of the Moselle was one of the worst ever steamboat  disasters.
on April 25, 1832.  You can read the full story, here.
The wrecked hull of the Moselle was found when they excavated the piers for the L&N RR Bridge, built in 1872.

 

An 1892 controversy arose as to whether Ross or Melbourne might be the better place to live. A letter from Smith's Station, a location unknown to us, suggests that neither one can claim the title. The Grandview Cemetery, near Mentor, was established in 1880.
Beallmont was an early estate upriver from Newport, and further described here. The entire journal is about Newport's William K. Beall, and his service in the War of 1812.
“A ferry boat plying the Ohio river between New Richmond, O., and California, Ky., while crowded with passengers was stove in by the ice today and in danger of sinking. The passengers were panic stricken and begged the captain to go to shore. The boat, however, was caught in the ice and drifted two miles before it could be brought to the shore. It was found that the huge ice floe that crushed the boat’s sides had acted as a raft to float the vessel.” Indianapolis Journal, February 3, 1904
California was incorporated as a city on February 7, 1874. The news from California, Ky. in 1878 is here. Mrs. John D. Ellis' Sketch of the Old Christian Church at California is here (pdf)
Remember when the A. J. Jolly High School students went on strike? Here. Read about “excitement and lawlessness in California” in 1859 here. The first graduating class of California High School.
  A fight, on the steeple of the Christian Church in California.  

 

St. James

St. James
That's the St. James under the bridge
from the Bolivar (TN) Bulletin, January 8, 1870

 

Lancaster

Steamboat Lancaster disaster, 1855 near Steptoe, here
(Steptoe is near the present day Mentor)

Campbell Frill Line

Ball Heights

The Ohio River from Ball Heights, California

 

California, Kentucky

Poetry

The Methodist Episcopal Church, in California, in the 1937 Flood
from the Kentucky History Facebook page

To Some Ladies of California, Ky.
by T. M. Barton, 1885

Campbell Frill Line

lock and dam 35 1937 Flood
Locking thru #35. Steamer is the Greenwood. More pics of
her at this site.
Near Lock and Dam #35, in the 1948 Flood
from a Facebook post by Maggie Gosney

Lock and Dam #35 was about a mile below New Richmond, Ohio, and was one of 9 earlier
locks and dams replaced by Markland and Meldahl. Details here.

Lock & Dam #35 Lock & Dam #35
Lock and Dam #35
Thanks to Travis Brown and Karl Lietzenmayer for these

 

1937 Flood Campbell County, Kentucky Campbell County, Kentucky
In the 1937 Flood
from a Facebook post by Maggie Gosney
Showing Flood Levels Aerial

Dam #35, near Oneonta

Oneonta is an Indian word, but the town of Oneonta is named after Oneonta, New York , [Wikipedia] birthplace of Henry E. Huntington [Wikipedia], nephew and successor to railroad magnate Colis P. Huntington [Wikipedia].  Colis and his brother owned a successful business in Oneonta, NY, and Henry E. was born there.

Campbell Frill Line

Rifle Range

New Richmond Wharf Boat

 

New Moscow Ferry
  The ferry from Moscow (say "mos-coe") Ohio to Campbell County, where Ivor Road meets Rt. 8.

 

Ferry

The C&O Railroad ran a ferry between New Richmond and Kentucky because of the amount of traffic - people and freight - the railroad could derive from the Ohio side of the river prior to good roads being available.

 

Campbell County, Kentucky Campbell County, Kentucky Campbell County, Kentucky

The New Richmond had C&O Railroad access by this ferry to the Kentucky side.  On the
Kentucky shore, it would be about where New Richmond/Carthage Road hits Rt. 8.
Capt. John B. Prudent ran the ferry.

“Cincinnati, Feb. 2--A ferryboat plying between New Richmond, O., and California, Ky., while crowded with passengers was stove in by the ice today and a panic ensued. Before the boat cold be run ashore it had drifted two miles down the river. The huge ice floe that crushed the boat's sides acted as a raft to float the vessel.” Los Angeles Herald, February 3, 1904

An earlier ferry at this location was authorized as early as 1830.

 

Campbell County, Kentucky Campbell County, Kentucky Campbell County, Kentucky
Carthage Road - New
Richmond Ferry
 
New Richmond Ferry New Richmond from
 Campbell County

 

Campbell County, Kentucky

A. J. Jolly
list of names here.

 

Campbell County, Kentucky

June 18, 1976 was the last day of operation for post office at Mentor. 41060 would be no more.

 

Mentor, Ky

Mentor, 1953. Key to the images.

Campbell County, Kentucky Campbell County, Kentucky Campbell County, Kentucky U. S. Grant
Aerial View of Mentor,
 circa 1910

 

Mentor Baptist Church

 

The birthplace of Civil War General
and US President Ulysses S. Grant
is across the Ohio River from Mentor,
in Point Pleasant, Ohio
  The Mentor area was established in the early 1800's, and was then known as Belmont. 
Why it changed to Mentor - about the time the railroad came thru - is not known.

Rabbits
The Chicago Packer, October 25, 1913

Remember the Kaiser aluminum plant that was built in Mentor?
“Mentor, Ky., with a population of 100, has 40 musicians, an average of two to every home.” The Routt County (Colorado) Sentinel, June 25, 1926

 

Campbell County, Kentucky
Twelve Mile First Baptist
 Church, in flood

 

Campbell County, Kentucky Campbell County, Kentucky
Map of California, 1883
list of businesses in California
in 1883, here.
Odd Fellow Grove, 1880's
somewhere in Campbell County

 

“Settled in the early 1800's as a river town, court records mention the town of California as
early as 1849, but state records indicate it was incorporated in [February 7] 1874.”  Jim Reis, in the Kentucky Post, May 9, 1993
“Mrs. Julia Arthur, who was appointed
principal of the California (Ky) school,
has resigned.” from The Freeman, A National
Colored Newspaper,
August 23, 1890
Pomeroy Packet Lines by-pass the
California wharf boat, story here.
“Mrs. Eliza Darough dies at her house in California,
Ky., last week, aged 94.  She was a nurse in the family of the
Grants, and took care of General Grant for two years
after his birth.” from Maysville's Daily Public Ledger, December 6, 1894

 

Campbell County, Kentucky

The showboat Princess, at an unknown location

“The Princess was immensely popular all along the rivers.  Every seat of her three hundred was usually sold long before curtain time.  At such a landing as California, Kentucky, one of her favorite stops, the citizens were in the habit of declaring a holiday as soon as she tied up, which culminated in the show that night.  Some seat suited everybody's purse, for “shelf” tickets (balcony) sold for thirty-five cents, the first ten rows on the main floor for seventy-five, and the seats in the rear, fifty cents.  Unlike most of the showboats of the time, the Princess stopped twice each season at each of her ports of call.” from Philip Graham's 1951 Showboats: The History of an American Institution

More pictures of the showboat Princess are at this site.

 

“Henry E. Pritchard, a mate on the steamer Telegraph, who was tried at the January term of the Campbell Criminal Court on the charge of killing a colored roustabout with an axe on the steamer when opposite California, Ky., over two years ago, and was found not guilty on the ground of insanity, and several weeks ago sent to the Insane Asylum at Anchorage, has been discharged from the institution as cured.”
 from Maysville's Daily Public Ledger, April 15, 1892

 

“The Bintz Site” is a Fort Ancient era archaeological site that was excavated as part of the building of the Mary Ingles highway, near where the Ohio River and Twelve Mile Creek.  You can read about it here (pdf)

Campbell Frill Line

Hey! No cows is this man's meadows:

“The following is a copy of a written notice posted upon a farm a short distance from Newport, on the Alexandria Pike: 'Nottis-know kow is alloud in these meders any men or women letten that kows run the rode wot gits inter my medders aforesead shall have his tail cut off by me' Obadiiah Rogers.” Courier-Journal, May 27, 1873

campbell line