|Evergreen Cemetery, c. 1910||Entrance to Evergreen Cemetery, c. 1910
A brief history of Evergreen is here; a little more detail here.
The Newport Cemetery Company changed its name to Evergreen in 1880.
Heidelberg Pleasure Resort
It was near where St. Therese School is today on US 27
Aerial of Heidelberg Resort
The original St. Therese, September 6, 1947
From a Facebook post by Gina Dew
This is the first location of St. Therese, established August
in the building which formerly housed Heidelberg Resort. The current
St. Therese is built on the same site.
|The bell from an old Newport fire station went to St. Terese, but its location has been lost. Details.|
|An 1874 magazine, Chic, said that the Heidelberg Garden was a 5 cent trolley ride from Cincinnati, and that proprietor Kettenacker had set it up for families, with swings, bowling alleys, and “Wiedemann's famous Bohemian Beer always on tap.”|
One visitor's rave review is here.
1906. The streetcar line went up Electric Avenue to Retreat Street.
From a Facebook post by Cliff Specht
Howard and Elizabeth Davis owned the Davis Fox Farm where they raised silver foxes on what would later be the site of Beverly Hills
From a Facebook post by Judy Kuyper Alessandro
The New Heidelberg
Church, circa 1910
|Tornado of 1915. Find
out much more about
this devastating storm here.
Belle Acres Twin Lakes
from a Facebook post by Jerry Kovacik & Doug Olier
|Berry Lake, named for Albert Seaton Berry. It was a pay lake, with some cottages later on its shores. Southgate's Municipal Building and Community Center are on the site today. Belle Acres was a later name for the same place.|
|From a Facebook posts by J. E. Venneman of pictures taken by his gr-grandfather, Clarence Boeckley.|
Walnut & Electric
|Wm. Speck & Co.. Florists,
1910, at the northeast corner of Willow
and Alexandria Pike
|Term Finance on
Knobloch Motors, a Nash Dealer
Southgate Methodist, on Blatt Avenue, c. 1936
from a Facebook post by J. E. Venneman
|Sleepy Hollow Lodge, Evergreen and Alexandria Pike
from Facebook posts by J. E. Venneman
|Bridge at Willow and Evergreen
from a Facebook post by J. E. Venneman
|Venneman Home on Evergreen||Moock Road|
|from Facebook posts by J. E. Venneman|
City Hall, c. 1938
|Lake Albert, 1927||Bell Acres, 1948|
|Lake Albert was on the west side of US 27, a little north of where Willow meets the highway.|
Map showing Lake Albert
The Blue Grass Inn, in the Beautiful
Kentucky Highlands, Southgate, Kentucky
The All Seasons Hotel is reached via Alexandria
Pike by auto or Monmouth Street Cars, only 17
minutes from Fountain Square, Cincinnati, O. European Plan.
Frank N. Schoonmaker, proprietor.
New York Clipper, July 11, 1917
|Bluegrass Avenue was originally designed as an entrance to the Bluegrass Inn, which was at the top of the hill about where the Southgate/Newport line is. From its construction in 1907-08, to its eventual opening on May 19, 1910, to a fire on February 7, 1915, it was never profitable, and went thru a series of owners, suits and bankruptcies.|
Blue Grass Inn Menu, 1913
|El Greco menu, 1978|
Early Southgate Fire Departments
|The first Southgate Life Squad.
Contributed by Nancy Meyers, who tells us: “The first Southgate Life Squad. A station wagon was purchased in 1965 or 1966 and made into a fully equipped squad. It all began with an idea submitted to Fire Chief Muench by Harvey Lipscomb (seated) and Paul H. Meyers. Shown standing are, left to right: Paul Myers, Frank Bertsch, and Roy Stein.” Thanks, Nancy.
|“Mrs. Antoinette Beccard, Southgate, Ky., famous as the “flower woman,” today received a note of thanks from President Harding for a huge bouquet of roses sent for his inauguration. Mrs. Beccard, who is 72 years old, began selling flowers on the Cincinnati streets when she was 16 years old.” Courier-Journal, March 19, 1921|
|A history of the Southgate schools is here.|
|Cliff Specht's amended history of Southgate is here.||The Rev. Paul E. Ryan's History of St. Therese is here.|