Gourmet Strip

Dixie Highway, going up the hill toward Park Hills, was once known as the Gourmet Strip, because of the number and quality of restaurants available.

 

Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant
Town and County Restaurant
US 25 and US 42 4 miles south of Cincinnati
The Finest Food, 
Served in Most Beautiful Surroundings

 

Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant
Town and Country, Park Hills
The Blue Star, below, opened in 1936; it's name was change to Town and Country in 1950

 

Blue Star

Blue Star Tavern
from the Park Hills, Ky Facebook page

 

The Old Mill

The Old Mill
From a Facebook post by Joseph Riley

 

Mike Fink

Chappie's Garden
From a Facebook post by Chris Kleemeier. That's his Dad, Bob Rieckhoff, c. 1943

 

Melody

The Melody Tavern, 1945
From a Facebook post by Covington Kentucky Vintage Postcards

 

Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant
Menu from the Blue Star Tavern, later  Town and Country

 

Covington,Kentucky Restaurant

Covington,Kentucky Restaurant

Covington,Kentucky Restaurant

Covington,Kentucky Restaurant

White Horse Tavern
1501 Dixie Highway Covington, KY.
Famous for Kentucky Mint Juleps and Old Kentucky Dinners
Recommended by Duncan Hines
In his column in the Kentucky Post, April 29,1999, Jim Reis notes that the White Horse opened on September 23, 1936, and burned to ground on January 26, 1972. He further notes that the distinctive white horse that sat atop the restaurant later sat at the entrance of the Best Western Vegas Convention Center on Donaldson in Erlanger. The horse now resides at the Behringer-Crawford Museum. Read the Behringer-Crawford's piece on the White Horse.

Dr. Paul Tenkotte writes about the White Horse at this site.

White Horse Tavern White Horse Tavern
Parking lot at the White Horse, next to a still
standing, albeit remodeled house
White Horse Entrance, 1946
both from Facebook posts by Charles H. Foertmeyer.

 

Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant
The White Horse Tavern Menu, December, 1968

  

Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Here's a shot of the staff of the White Horse during the late 50's or early 60's.  It was thoughtfully contributed by Carol Osborne.  That's her mother-in-law, Mildred Osborne, second from the left in the front.  She also tells me her mother-in-law could remember when Steve McQueen worked at the White Horse as a bus boy.  Thanks, Carol!

 

Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant
Schilling Carhops
 get Walkie
Talkies

 

 

Schillings Restaurant and Motel
 Five Minutes from Cincinnati on US Route 25 & 42
1939 Dixie Highway, Covington, Ky 
Each room Air Conditioned, Hot water heat, Television, Tile Baths, Telephones, Wall to wall carpets and Swimming Pool
 Motel Phone - Edison 1-1400
 Restaurant Phone - Edison 1-3130 
The menu from Schillings?  Right here

 

What started as Schillings in the early 1950's, at 1939 Dixie Highway, has since gone under many names
Schillings was here from 1954 or so, until 1962, when it became the Hofbrau Haus, until 1977 when it became Beef & Bourbon, until 1980, when it became the Candlewood, until 1984 when it was the Tumbleweed, and then there was D'andrea's in 1999, and . . .

 

Covington,Kentucky Restaurant

The New Belvedere
Madison Pike at Kyle's Lane

Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant

from the Ford Treasury of
Favorite Recipes from
Famous Eating Places
, we
have a painting of Oelsner's
by Charles Harper,
and Oelsner's recipe for
Pineapple Cream Pie, here
 

Oelsner's Colonial Tavern
Greater Cincinnati's Finest 
Routes 25 & 42 in the Blue
Grass State 2 Miles South
of Covington, Kentucky
Phone - HE 7546

Oelsner's, 1940

 

 

 

Oelsner's Colonial Tavern
Call Hemlock 9578

 

 

The Tavern was owned by Russell Oelsner, mayor of Lookout  Heights for 14 years, and opened in 1940. It sat opposite the Lookout House, site of a Skyline Chili these days.  It was noted in those days as a meeting place for the St. Agnes Chapter of the Catholic War Veterans, and a hangout for a number of former Cincinnati Reds Baseball players.  ...and we got this from Chuck Oelsner.

 

Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant

Menu, Oelsner's Colonial Inn


Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant Covington,Kentucky Restaurant
Sanzere's, 1950, Park Hills, Kentucky
Gus and Marie Sanzere opened a restaurant at 835 Dixie Highway in Elsmere after WWII, just north of the Swan, and moved to 1504 Dixie, in Park Hills around 1949.  By 1956, he no longer called it Sanzere's, but the Golden Goose.

  

Jerry's

Jerry's
(across Dixie from St. Agnes and a little north, and time wise, a little after the gourmet-strip heyday)
from the Park Hills, Ky Facebook page

kenton line