Part 1
Traxel's Bread Wagon, Maysville
Eat Traxel's Bread, Ice Cream Manufacturers, Phone No. 11
An item on Traxel's from 1935 is here.
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
January and Wood | Cotton Mill in the 1937 Flood from a Facebook posting by Terri Duncan |
||
January and Wood was on Front Street, between Second and Wall |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
|
Maysville Cotton Mill, 1910 |
January & Wood Cotton Mill |
Aftermath of Fire at January & Wood Cotton Mill | |
An article from 1910 on the Cotton Mill is here; another, from 1935, is here; and the Ledger Independent's feature from 2008. A 1951 article from Kentucky Business is here. |
|||
Want to read A. M. January's last will and testament? Here. | |||
“R. A. Cochran, Treasurer of
the Maysville Cotton Mills, Maysville, Ky., reported that there are
no longer any blue Mondays in their factory on account of drinking,
as formerly, and that the saloons in their neighborhood have given
place to grocery stores, and that the boys are growing up without
forming the habit of drink.” from the 1922 Manufacturers' Record |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
Geo. Heiser Wholesale Grocery | Klipp and Brown | Leonard and Lalley, Stoves and Tinware |
Myall & Co. Carriages | Nesbitt's Dry Goods |
![]() |
![]() |
|
Keystone Commercial Company was a slaughter house for poultry.
Sometimes known as the Old Hemp Warehouse (or the American Legion Hall), it was built in the 1840's
and was razed for the Court House Annex. Compare its stepped-top on the front façade, to the east side of the current annex (right). You can read a little more about Keystone here. |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
Limestone Lumber Co., 2nd and Commerce, Maysville More about Limestone Lumber here. |
R. H. Duncan & Brother, Store |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
|
O. H. P. Thomas & Co., Maysville | Moldings Shop | The Standard Oil Company. Read more about The Standard Oil Company here. |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
Maysville Grocery Scene, 1953 | Hunter's Mill suffers the Flood of 1913 |
J. W. Porter & Sons Funeral Home, c. 1954 |
Modern Laundry,
31 E. Second
from a Facebook post by
Brittany Lynn Vaughn
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
Walds and Center Street from a Facebook post by Jim Rannes |
Wald Manufacturing Plant, 1953 |
A Wald Invoice, front and back | Walds |
![]() |
![]() |
The Wald Bicycle Parade. Note a rare “triple” in the 1958 photo on the right. |
![]() |
![]() |
Collins & Rudy, Lumber |
![]() |
![]() |
|
Adam's Express, 1918, on Sutton Street | Ward Nash's Barber Shop 224 Market St. Ward Ellison Nash is in the center, Jacob Powers Nash on the far left. |
“The Editor for the Maysville Whig Advocate has announced his determination to remove his printing establishment to Vicksburgh, Miss., where he intends to commence immediately the publication of a daily, semi-weekly, and weekly paper. The Advocate is discontinued.” from the Paris, Ky., Western Citizen, September 28, 1838
|
“We have received the first number of the Maysville Sun, a handsome and spirited paper published and edited by L. A. Welch, late of the Maysville Bulletin. It is of course Democratic. We wish it full success” Courier-Journal, March 6, 1869 “The Maysville Sun has ceased publication. The continued ill health of its editor, Mr. Welch, has been one of the chief causes leading to the step.” Courier-Journal, June 14, 1869 |
John Cadwalleder advertises his daguerreotypes in 1854.
“At Maysville, Wednesday night, Sweigert’s distillery was destroyed by fire. Loss, $800. No Insurance.” The Daily Commonwealth, May 9, 1879 | “The boiler of Hall's plow factory at Maysville, Ky., exploded January 27th, instantly killing William Harris, engineer, severely wounding the foreman and a brother of Harris.” The Locomotive, 1881. |
“A plow manufacturing firm in Maysville received last week an order for one hundred of their plows, to be sent to the interior of Mexico. They are to be boxed, and will be carried upon the backs of mules two hundred and fifty miles from the coast to their destination.” Courier-Journal, February 1, 1873 | “The Maysville Eagle has a regular subscriber who commenced taking the paper in 1818.” Courier-Journal, January 9, 1874 |
“The Maysville Eagle has been published forty-nine years as a weekly, and thirty-two years as a tri-weekly. Mr. Davis has retired from the Eagle, leaving its sole conduct to Mr. Thos. M. Green” Louisville Daily Courier, January 8,1867 | “$50,000 worth of meat is annually sold from the Maysville Market House. This does not include the 3-5,000 sheep butchered for their hides and tallow, or cattle bought by the butchers for export.” from the Louisville Morning Courier, September 13, 1845 |
O. H. P. Thomas | McClanahan And Shea's Hardware and Stove Store, 1910 |
W. T. Cummins, Fancy Groceries, 1910 |
C. J. Collins Transfer Company |
Read more about O. H. P. Thomas here. |
Read more about McClanahan and Shea's here. |
Read more about W. T. Cummins here. |
Read more about C. J .Collins here. |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
||
M. P. Redmond, Groceries | Merz Brothers | |||
Read more about M. P. Redmond's here. |
Read more about the Merz Brothers here, and here. |
![]() |
|
|
|
Pearce & Foster's Ice Factory | The Maysville Ice Company | Thomas J. Chenoweth, Drugs & Medicines |
Thomas Malone & Co., Fine Livery |
Read more about The Maysville Ice Company here. |
Read more about Thomas J. Chenoweth here. |
Read more about Thomas Malone & Co. here. |
![]() |
|||
D. Hechinger & Co. | John T. Parker, Livery & Sale Stable, on Sutton |
R. B. Lovel | Murray and Thomas' Marble and Granite Works |
Read more about D. Hechinger & Co. here. and here. |
Read more about John T. Parker here. |
Read more about R. B. Lovel here. |
Frank Owens Hardware | Thomas Malone & Co. | D. Hunt & Sons |
Read more about Frank Owens here. |
Read more about Thomas Malone & Co. here. |
Read more about D. Hunt & Sons here. |
|
||
Jos. Dodson's Coal Elevators | Jos. Dodson's Warehouse | J. J. Wood & Sons Drugstore |
Read more about Jos. H. Dodson & Sons, here. | Read more about J. J. Wood & Sons here. |
![]() |
|
![]() |
Office of “Our Leading Hotel.” On Lower Market St. | J. Wesley Lee's Clothing Store | |
Read more about The New Central Hotel here, and here. | Read more about J. Wesley Lee, Mayor of Maysville here. |
An article by an unknown author from 1910 on Maysville businesses is here. | Some, not all, Maysville Businesses, listed by the number of men, women, and children they employed in 1917, here. |