Aerial View of Lusby's Mill
from a Facebook post by the Lusby's Mill page
Charlie Gaines was owner of this Lusby's Mill dry goods store when this photo was taken. When Mr. Gaines moved to Owenton to operate the Ford Automobile Agency, circa 1921, Lewis Mason and R. N. “Bob” Greene took over as proprietors and partners in the store. They later sold the business to Elzie Cobb, and he was followed by Jim Hall. Picture and text both from the Lusby's Mill , Kentucky Facebook page.
|We have a more detailed history of the store.|
The Educational News, June 9, 1921
|"On Sunday night about 9 o'clock fire took place at Lusby's Mill. We have no particulars, but learn that Acree & Kinman's store house, the Masonic Hall, and a Carding machine, all were burned up. The light was seen at Squire Long's on Twin, sixteen miles off, to the west." The Carrollton Democrat, September 3, 1870|
|Fire, 1875, here. In 1870, here.||History of Lusby's Mill Baptist is here. (pdf)|
|One room schools combined into the Lusby Central School in 1925: Holbrook School, Fortner school, Lusby one-room school, Elk Ridge School, Smith School, and the Hammond school.|
|“Miss Allie Martin, of Lusby's Mills, made a quilt containing 4,863 pieces, and the local editor challenged the state to beat it. Miss Allie Gorham, of Paris [Ky], came to the front with a composite bed covering constructed out of 7,048 individual bits of calico, and she is now the champion.” Bismark (ND) Tribune, November 30, 1883|
|“N. M. Reed, who lives near Lusby's Mill, in Owen County, has caught thirty red foxes since December last.”Courier-Journal, June 2, 1870||“Newton Simpson, of the Lusby's Mill district has bought over 700 lambs this season, at 5 cents per pound, and is still buying.” Boone County Recorder, July 26, 1899|
|“We are informed that Uncle Johnnie Wright, living near Lusby's Mill, has struck silver on his place, and is employing all his farm hands in sinking a shaft into the bowels of the earth in pursuit of the precious metal.”Boone County Recorder, October 19, 1887|
|An 1862 Civil War report from Lusby's Mill, here.||Lusby's bridge burns, 1926. Read it here.|
The Lusbys Mill Community web site.
Covered Bridge at Lusby's Mill
from a Facebook posting on Kentucky's Covered Bridges - A Baker's Dozen
Lusbys Mill School, a painting by alumnus Ron Wainscott
From a Facebook post by Jim Mason
|Wilma Kincaid Hughes||Otha Holiday, 1944|
|From a Facebook post by Kathy Riley||From a Facebook post by Gypsy Holliday Flowe|
|The covered bridge was replaced by an iron bridge|
|Under the Bridge, c. WWI
l-r, unknown, Lewis Mason, Blanche Sidebottom Mason, Bob Greene, Gypsy Greene.
|Street Scene, with Wilma Kincaid Hughes|
|From a Facebook post by Jim Mason||From a Facebook post by Kathy Riley|
|Charles Gaine's Store, Lusby's Mill, c. 1890||Lusby's Mill, on Eagle Creek, 1918
photo by Paul Sidebottom
In January 1948, the Lusby's Mill's Homemakers published a history of the place.
Mrs. Orville Jones wrote on Lusby's Mill's Stores and Storekeepers, here, (pdf), and its churches here (pdf),
and Mrs. Oren Cobb wrote on the Mill and the community, here. (pdf),
|Lusby’s Mill was originally called Cobbs Station, later Cobbs Mill. The water mill at Cobbs Mill was built for William Jones, but named for his father-in-law, Samuel Cobb, a revolutionary War veteran from South Carolina. Around 1852 John H Lusby, or perhaps his brother William H, acquired the mill, and re-named it Lusby’s Mill. From Robert Rennick’s Kentucky Bluegrass: A Survey of the Post Offices, Vol. II.|