Street Scenes

Newport, Kentucky

Eighth Street, East from Central, 1907

Campbell Frill Line


1890 - The year Newport re-named it's streets

Newport extended it's city limits by these streets in 1868.

And in 1869 by these streets.

The Catholic Telegraph, April 5, 1856. (Jamestown, a.k.a. Jimtown, was an early name for Dayton)

The bridge from Newport to Dayton, then Jamestown, was authorized in 1795.

Campbell Frill Line

At NKYViews, some of our favorite images are those which show very little at the time they were taken, but have changed dramatically over time. Like this image of Sixth Street looking east into Dayton.
From a Facebook post by Tim Abramis


C&O, Newport, KY  
Looking north on Saratoga, 1946.
A copyrighted image from the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Society, and used here with their kind permission.


C&O, Newport, KY C&O, Newport, KY
North and South on Washington, 1946.
A copyrighted image from the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Society, and used here with their kind permission.


C&O, Newport, KY C&O, Newport, KY
Looking west on 11th, 1946.
A copyrighted image from the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Society, and used here with their kind permission.



Newport, Kentucky Newport, Kentucky Newport, Kentucky
John F. Kennedy on Carothers
 Road, Newport
October 7, 1960
Note steeple of St. Francis
Matchbook from Newport
Elks Lodge, 321
Washington, Newport
Looking North, across
Carothers Road, at the
future site of Kmart.


Newport, Kentucky

Damage in Newport from the 1915 Tornado
  Images include: 
1. Wiedemann's Baseball Field,  2. Grace Methodist Church
3. Clifton School ( larger image here),  4. Clifton
5. The L&N Bridge (notice things floating)


Newport, Kentucky Newport, Kentucky
Looking East on Fifth Marching South on Monmouth

Campbell Frill Line

Newport, Kentucky Newport, Kentucky Newport, Kentucky

In 1930, the Northern Kentucky Automobile Club and the Newport Auto Dealers
Sponsored Safety Week, with Brake Tests.  These three pictures are from that event.


Newport, Kentucky

These are the sponsoring dealers.  Who are they?  Here.

Campbell Frill Line

Route Map

C. N. & C Streetcar lines, 1914-1934
from Terry Lehmann's and Earl W. Clark's The Green Line. Recommended.


10th & Grand Avenue

Before I-471, that's 10th and Grand, with the streetcar going up to
Fort Thomas on what you know as Memorial Parkway.
Grand's going downhill; Waterworks going uphill.
Harvey's Coal is the business, later a hardware store.
From a Facebook post by Tom Taylor


Grand Avenue Grand Avenue Grand Avenue
We have a special fondness for those old pictures that are taken of very dull scenes, but in the present context, are very active places. All three of these, from 1940, are taken from nearly the same spot: the Benjey property, on Grand, behind where Grant Towers is today.. That's Grand Avenue, going up hill into Fort Thomas, on the left and center, and the on the right, the Todd House, where Mildred Dean School was, and a St. Elizabeth unit is now. A big thanks to Ed and Bev Harber for these three, taken by Beth's father, Louis Achzehner.


Newport, Kentucky Newport, Kentucky
The Blue Line  The Green Line

  The July, 1926 issue of Hail Columbia, the house publication of the gas & electric company,
ran these two pictures and this article (pdf)  about one man's career on the streetcars.

The man that made a boat out of Green Line streetcar.



Dixie Terminal
From a Facebook post by Andy Hemmer
In the trolley years, the Kenton County cars went into the second floor of Dixie Terminal, in a ramp directly off the Suspension Bridge, while the Newport cars came into the first floor, off Cincinnati's Third Street. At its peak, 156 street cars or buses per hour would come though the terminal in rush hour.
Dr. Paul Tenkotte wrote about the Dixie Terminal at this site.

Campbell Frill Line

Newport, Kentucky Newport, Kentucky

In 2011, the City of Newport published this handy historical tour brochure.



I-471 Construction, 1978
from a Facebook post by Bill Theis


Newport, Kentucky Newport, Kentucky
The Penn Central heads into Newport,
from a post on Facebook by Derek Gillium.


The L. & N. RS3 241 heads south on Saratoga,
at about Sixth in November 1961.
Alexander Mitchell posted this one to the Northern Kentucky
Views Facebook page . It's from the Maryland Rail Heritage
Library in Baltimore, photographed by Jim Hudson.
  Thanks Alexander!

Campbell Frill Line

“Newport, Ky., is opposite Cincinnati, on the upper side of the Lacking[sic] river. It contains a U. S. garrison, several churches, a seminary, private schools, a rolling-mill, cotton-factory, etc. Pop. about 3,500. A steam-ferry connects it with Cincinnati, the boats plying every few minutes during the day.”Appleton's Southern and Western Travelers' Guide, 1849
“From the Covington Journal. Our sister city of Newport with a population of some 15,000 souls, hasn't a regular hotel within its borders. What is lacking in this respect , however, is more than made up by the number of beer saloons.” as reprinted in the Courier-Journal, May 13, 1868
“Newport, Ky., is briefly described as a town of 30,000 inhabitants, without a single bookstore, where boys of 5 or 6 years puff cigars with an experienced air on every corner.” Indianapolis News, September 12, 1881
When Admiral Dewey took Manila Bay (Wikipedia) in 1898, there was an attempt to re-name Isabella Street Dewey Avenue, which, obviously failed.
Newport declared most densely populated city in Kentucky in 1920.
“Matt Cooper, of Newport, got to rehearsing some of his foul-mouthed obscenity last night, and officers Burke and Haggemann very sensibly locked him up.  He is a nuisance that decent men have to submit to because he is a drunken no account brute.  The privileges he is allowed only encourage him in his actions; and when he is fined and doesn't pay  he should go to the stone pile as many another better man has had to do.”   from Covington's The Ticket, November 23, 1875.

Lst Tollgate

The last tollgate in Kentucky was on Alexandria Pike in Newport.
The story of it's demise is here.

Beuna Vista

If you read about the “Buena Vista” section of Newport, this is it. The boundaries of what's called Buena Vista have expanded over the years, but these are the official original boundaries: 8th, Monmouth, 12th and Central.

Lots for sale, 1850.

campbell line