|We know this image was “taken by Sam Clore, Druggist, Warsaw, KY., in the recent disastrous flood when it reached 80 feet. The picture was taken in front [now the back] of the court house, the building on the left is the Gallatin County Deposit Bank. The building on the right was the Wm. Craig Furniture and Tin shop some years ago, afterwards a moving picture house, discontinued some years ago. The submerged building toward the Ohio River is the two story brick, diagonally opposite the Argonne (Lindell) Hotel. Looking down this street (Main Cross) can be seen the Indiana hills.”|
|Coast Guard boats tied up
at High Street and Second
|1937 Flood, we assume
on Sparta Pike.
|Warsaw in the
|Note the old Bogardus
Furniture Factory at the
top of the image.
1937 Flood in Warsaw
Betty (left) and Ruth Dickerson, at the 1937 flood
Betty's at Main Cross and High Street; not sure where Ruth's standing
Thanks to Dale Samuel for these two
3rd Street, and the old Baptist Church
Ferry Landing with Ferry, 1937
The 1937 Flood covered Sparta Pike, south of Warsaw
You're looking south on Sparta Pike, near Bea Scott Street.
Just west of Warsaw
We think of it as Melanie Bledsoe's home. Around 1970, Zack Bledsoe told us that on a hot
day the heat would still bring out the high water marks on the bricks, from the '37 flood.
In any flood, water is of course very destructive, but it will recede.
The problem is that when it does, there's mud. Which turns to dust.
|Believed to be the Mylor house, still standing
of this writing, vacant, on Diuguid property, on
the north side of U. S. 42 and a bit east of the
Gallatin Steel. 1937 Flood.
Seven Pines, from the River
|This boring picture explains a lot. You're looking west on US 42 in the '37 Flood, but that background tower is where many of the photo's below were taken, and how we know where they were. The tower belonged to an airport that used to be southwest of Warsaw - more of a glorified landing strip than what's normally thought of as an airport today. (But they had big expectations at one time) However, there was a government sponsored, war related effort to have a mail line between Louisville and Lunken, in Cincinnati. Warsaw is on an absolute straight line between the two. (their map's here) There was also an airstrip in Edgewood, and at Beacon Light just east of Beaverlick on US 42. (That's why they called it Beacon Light - because of the light on the tower to guide aircraft.)|
|West of Warsaw,
from the ground
|West of Warsaw,
from the airstrip
|1937 Flood, Looking West, toward Craig's Creek.
The flag in the foreground is at the entrance
to the old Warsaw airstrip.
|Another view from
the airstrip tower
At Main Cross
The roof in the distance - almost underwater - is a two story building, and at least two houses are floating.
That's W. R. Payne in the picture on the left. The building on the left is the old Gallatin
County Deposit Bank. The fenced-in area behind it is a tennis court.
David Webb sent me this information on the image on the left.
We believe this is 2nd Street, but that's a guess
We're pretty sure it's Warsaw & pretty sure it's 1937.
Beyond that, we're open to your thoughts.
How much greater was the '37 flood than its predecessors? Lots.
|A 1937 flood article says 31 Gallatin homes were washed downstream, here.||Dr. Carl Bogardus wrote this about the 1937 Flood. (pdf)|
|The Enquirer ran a story a week after the crest of the 1937 flood describing the effects along the river in Gallatin, Carroll and Trimble, which you can read here.|
Near the Carroll County line, 1964.
Bill Davis tells us that this one originally ran in Life Magazine - with the image reversed.
|Gex School, after the 1937 after the flood. It was located southwest of the corner of US 42 and T. Wilson Road at the eastern edge of the Gallatin Steel complex.
From a Facebook post by Bill Davis
|Florence , Indiana, 1937||Patriot, Indiana, 1937|
|Both from the Facebook page of the Switzerland County Historical Society|