|1867||c. 1955||c. 1945|
|These are all the same building, but the pointed, Gothic spire of the original design was
replaced in 1911-12 by the Italian Renaissance bell tower, complete with clock.
See Dr. Paul Tenkotte's A Heritage of Art and Faith: Downtown Covington Churches for more details.
|St. Aloysius Church,
The background on the clock at St. Aloysius.
|St. Aloysius, c. 1910|
|Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes at St. Aloysius|
|St. Aloysius Church,
|St. Aloysius Burns,
May 16, 1985
|St. Aloysius priest blesses
a Chevy, c. 1953 (a not
uncommon practice in
|map locating St. Aloysius|
St. Aloysius was a German Catholic Church.
From a Facebook post by Gayle Foltz Scalf
|St Augustine's, a German Catholic Church. Center images c. 1914.||The St. Augustine
from the July, 1927 issue
of the L&N Magazine
Rev. Paul Ryan's history of St. Augustine's is here.
|Stephen Enzweiler has written a three-part history of St. Augustine for the NKY Tribune, at their site:|
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3|
Here's the application for St. Augustine to be on the National Register of Historic places, complete with photo's, history, and maps.
|St. Ben's, 1935||unknown year||St. Benedict's cornerstone laying,
September 22, 1907
|St. Benedict's Church,
17th Street, Covington,
1985. This church was
designed by Samuel Hannaford.
“Soon after his arrival as pastor in September, 1911, Reverend Adolph Rupprecht, O.S.B., purchased a piece of property east of the new [St. Ben's] church for the present rectory, which was ready for occupancy by September, 1913.” Rev. Paul Ryan
Rev. Paul Ryan's history of St. Benedict's is here.
|The First Location -
SW Corner of Leonard
|On the current
site - earlier
Inside the original St. John's
From a Facebook post by Elise Fessler
|Church and School - 1914||May 1, 1892||St John's 100th
|St. John's, 1941|
The Rev. Leo G. Kampsen's history of old St. John's is here. (pdf) St. John's was dedicated on
December 27, 1914. The Covington Courier noted that “from three to four thousand people were present.
The city was decorated with the golden jubilee colors. Our country's flag was in great evidence.”
The Rev. Paul Ryan's history of St. John's is here.
The church was on the s.w. corner of Greenup and 12th
The school was on the s. side of 12th, between Greenup & Garrard
|The “Old Boys School” of
St. Joseph, on 12th near
Greenup, built in 1870,
torn down in 1929.
|Picture is 1934. The church
was first put into use in August,
1859. It was a German
|unknown date||Inside St. Joseph's|
A different view of St. Joe's from Caroline Williams
|This St. Joseph's school replaced the 1870 school above
in 1930. That's an artists drawing on the left; real picture,
c. 1934, is on the right.
|Montage of older St. Joseph's
Buildings (1859 and 1878 are
same buildings, but after
The story of the laying of the cornerstone, 1916
|Ruins of St. Joseph's Church in
Damage from Tornado of July 7, 1915
The Rev. Paul Ryan's history of St. Joseph's is here.
The church was on the east side of Philadelphia, between 4th and 5th.
|Early View, 1890||Interior, c. 1883||St. Patrick's School|
|St. Patrick's from their 1922 Golden Jubilee Program|
|Church in 1947||Interior in 1947||Class of 1947|
The above images of St Patrick's are from 1947, unless otherwise
indicated. St. Patrick's was an Irish Catholic Church.
The Rev. Paul Ryan's history of St. Patrick is here.
David E. Schroeder writes about St. Patrick's at this site.
Map locating St. Patrick's
Monte Casino, near Covington. World's Smallest Church. Built in 1879 by the Benedictine Monks, and now on the Thomas More campus. Read more about it from an issue of In Kentucky, here.
A 1949 history of Monte Casino that appeared in the Enquirer is here.
Stephen Enzweiler wrote about the history of Monte Casino at the Kentucky Tribune's web site here.
From the back of the card on the far right: “Scarcely larger than a child's playhouse, so small that, including the priest, it can hold but three persons, this tiny church was built by 'black friars.' It is made completely of stone, even the roof, except for its single stained glass window and narrow door. In this shrine, the Friars worshipped in perpetual adoration. ”
|Hat tip to George Smed, Jr. for finding this 1938 piece from the Enquirer.|
How did it get from Covington to Thomas More? On a truck. Details here.
|Garden of Hope,
Garden of Hope,
|Statue of Christ Preaching the Sermon on the Mount,
a gift of Mrs. Katharine Smarr
The Garden of Hope, Covington
Rev. Paul Ryan also wrote these histories of Covington Churches:
|Church of Our Savior (E. 10th)
|St. Ann's (West Covington)||Holy Guardian Angels (Sandfordtown)|
Karl Vercouteren's History of the German Churches of Covington, both Catholic and Protestant, is here. (pdf)
Covington Diocese organized in 1853; fully described in 1854, here.
Dave Schroeder explains why there are both German and Irish parishes in Covington, at this site.
In 1926, the US Census Bureau counted church denominations and their members. The Covington results are here.