|C & O Railroad Depot||from the Ripley Bee, April 3, 1879|
|John S. Bradley's||Parkview Hotel,
Hotel Fire, Main and Riverside, Augusta
|Ad for F. A. Neider's Peerless Foot Rest, 1913||Ad for F. A. Neider's various Fasteners, 1913||Ad for F. A. Neider's Double Headed Form Nail, 1910||Ad for F. A. Neider's Peerless Curtain Fastener, 1907|
In 1825, Louis Weimer advertised a “house of entertainment,” by which he meant brothel.
The F. A. Neider Company, Automobile and Carriage Trimming Factory, Augusta
The Bradford Hotel on Riverview
A flood scene, likely the flood of 1907 or 1913
|Modern Home Equipment||W. R. Mains
Augusta Frozen Food Lockers
|The car is a 1947-ish Plymouth Special De Luxe 4 Door Sedan. Note the suicide doors.|
|When refrigeration and freezers were much less common in individual homes, people would buy meat and keep it in lockers for later use.|
|c. 1910||c. 1947|
|L. V. Marks and Company, Shoe Factory, Augusta|
Baker Wine Cellar, near Augusta, 1911.
|The Abraham Baker Wine Cellar was a safe house for civilians during the Civil War fighting in Augusta. The walls inside the cellar (a 40 by 100 foot room with a 37 foot tall ceiling) are 36 inches thick; some stones are 3 by 2 feet, and a foot thick, mostly dug nearby by slaves.|
Inside the Winery
photo by Bronze Photographer
Evan Griffith's Grocery is also on the register. (pdf)
W. J. Rankin's Store, Augusta
The Bracken Chronicle.
A new newspaper comes to Augusta. In 1832.
The Chronicle's slogan, from 1936
|“The first number of the Bracken County Chronicle, a weekly paper, published at Augusta, has been received. It is devoted to literature, education and general news, and presents a credible appearance. Bracken county should extend to it a cordial support. ” from the Courier-Journal, September 7, 1869|
|We know that there were at least these newspapers in pre-Civil War Augusta. The dates represent issues that have been found, or referenced, not a start or stop date. The division symbols indicate also publishing after the war. W is weekly.|
Premium Cigar Factory, Augusta
Thanks to Bill and Judy Cooper for this one.
|Augusta Motor Co. The employee list is here.|
|The source of the bricks for the new hotel in 1869: Ripley. And some Ripley citizens weren't happy.|
Farmers State Bank and Liberty Bank - both of Augusta - merge in 1958. Details here.
An ad from the hotel in Augusta. From 1833. Here.
|“We are indebted to Col. L. J. Bradford, of Bracken county, for a supply of excellent Augusta wine, from the vineyard of Dr. J. Taylor Bradford, near Augusta, Ky. The State Fair of Kentucky and New York awarded to this wine the highest premium, and it commands as high a price as any wine manufactured in the United States. It is a very superior article, of excellent flavor, and is the pure juice of the grape.” from the Louisville Daily Courier, November 22, 1859|
“The wire mattress factory or Ritter & Hook is now in full blast in Augusta.” from Covington's Daily Commonwealth, March 27, 1883
|The State's 1916-1917 Labor reports listed these businesses in Augusta.|
Jones Livery Stable, Augusta
This picture is from the Bracken County
This scene, too, is from the Bracken County
|“The Augusta ferryboat, Whisper, sank in about ten feet of water while tied to the bank at that place
Saturday morning about 4 o'clock. The craft had sprung a leak during the night and sank so suddenly that the engineer,
who was sleeping on the boat, barely escaped.”
from the Maysville Bulletin, Feb. 28, 1908.
|The book business in 1816 Augusta|
|The Augusta Deposit Bank was chartered by the Kentucky Legislature back in 1853. Read the Act here.|
|Messrs. Armstrong and Taylor were Augusta gun makers. Read about their breech-loading rifles here. (pdf)|
|“Augusta, Ky., Dec. 12. - The boiler in the molding department of the Augusta stove and range works exploded and injured six men.
James Brothers and Harry Insley were seriously hurt, while Samuel and Kirk Wood, James Gates and Gus Shaffenberger were cut and bruised.
The boiler was blown through the side of the building and across the C. & O. tracks, a distance of 300 feet. The building was badly
damaged and the loss will amount to several thousand dollars. The foundry is owned and operated by E. H. Heuenfeld & Co. of
from the Maysville Evening Bulletin, December 12, 1903
|“Augusta, the commercial center of this famous tobacco growing country is beautifully situated on the south bank of the Ohio river 42 miles above Cincinnati; it has eight tobacco warehouses, including the famous Mason Warehouse whose receipts alone, since June 1st, have amounted to 655 hhds [hogsheads]; it has four cigar factories, as follows: The Great Western, G. W. Winter, proprietor, manufactures the popular ætna, Reform, Challenger, Diamond, and other brands, has a capacity of 15,000 cigars per month; the Grand King, W. J. Mingna & Co., proprietors, manufactures the Grand King, Racket, Gold Basis, Little Queen and numerous other popular brands, has a capacity of 15,000 cigars per month; M. Hartman, the popular manufacturer of the famous Acme and Pearl; J. W. Roden & Co., manufacturers of the popular Bonanza and Little Giant.” From a Covington newspaper, The Ticket, August 22, 1876|
|Incorporation papers (pdf) of the Augusta Liberty Bank, 1918.||Incorporation papers (pdf) of the Farmers State Bank of Augusta, 1926||Incorporation papers (pdf) of the merged Farmers Liberty Bank, 1958||Incorporation papers (pdf) of the 1994 the end of local ownership|
|Incorporators, 1918||Incorporators, 1926||Incorporators, 1958|
|Farmers' National Bank of Augusta notes, from the days when national banks could have their own currency. More on the practice is here.(Wikipedia)|
Before that, there was Allen, Harbeson & Co.