English header

English, Kentucky English, Kentucky English, Kentucky

L&N Extra Gang,
at English

W. R. Jones General
Merchandise, English

Blacksmith Shop, either on
Gilgal Road, or next to the tracks in English.


English School

English School, 1911-12, key to students
From a Facebook post by Kelly Anderson


English Postmark English, Kentucky English, Kentucky
Last Day for the English Post Office

Tokens from J. R. Green
& Sons, English

Earlier Channel of the Kentucky
River at English. More on earlier
era geology is here.


English, Kentucky English, Kentucky English, Kentucky

L & N Foreman's House

Another L & N Section
 Gang, 1928

The L. & N. comes
thru English, 1926


English, Kentucky English, Kentucky

L & N wreck, going over the east fork of Mill Creek near the Tomtown tunnel a few miles from English, 1914. More on the train wreck is here.

An earlier train wreck described here, and, in more detail, here.

Hear about the English, Ky. citizen who sent his wife to Arabia, via Shanghai to buy a  breeding mare?  That account is here. English is named after Capt. James Whorton English.  He served in the War of 1812, and was the original owner of the land on which English now sits.

The 1914 L&N Shippers' Guide had this description of English.

“A large meeting of the Democracy of Carroll county, Ky., was held at Carrollton, on Saturday last, at which Samuel G. English, Esq., former representative, was nominated for the Legislature. Sam is a self-made man, a gentleman, and all sorts of a clever fellow, and we have no doubt of his election.” Vevay Times and Switzerland County Democrat, June 11, 1840
  “The new Baptist Church at English was dedicated Sunday. The Rev. DeMent, of Louisville, gave a masterly address in the morning, and Rev. J. W. Waldrop of Owenton delivered a splendid sermon in the afternoon.” from the Owenton News-Herald, October 10, 1907.
A brief history of English from 1967 is here.
“The town of English, Ky., has signed a vote for $3,000 for a public park, top be located in the west part of town where stands the statue of William H. English, for whom the park will be named.”  from the April, 1922 issue of Park and Cemetery and Landscape Gardening.

carroll line