|International Order of Odd Fellows Building
Businesses in the building include O. P Elliston, undertaker, the Post Office, and two law offices.
|Creamery in Williamstown, 1909
Run by W. C. Ware and later his son, Homer Ware.
The Grant Co News ran a story on the creamery in 1911, here. And Homer Ware wrote this short history of the business, here.
The Equity Barn
Why this is an important image, here.
Henry Webb, Teamster, 1915, bringing goods to Williamstown from the nearest rail station or wharf boat. From a Facebook post by Diane Perrine Coon
|The Store||The Huckster Truck|
|Harold Snell had a store in the Williamstown area, and also ran a huckster truck out of his store, c. 1950. That's him in the Huckster truck with his son Steve. Steve is also in the store picture, being held by his mother, Katherine Wilson Snell. The other young lady is unknown, but we'd guess she knew her picture was going to be taken: those don't look like everyday shoes to us. From a Facebook post by Melissa Snell, Heralds's granddaughter.|
|Hotel Donald||Hotel Donald, 1936||Hotel Donald,
Corner Dining Room
| Hotel Donald|
|Read a little more about the Hotel Donald, here.|
An earlier hotel, the Jackson House, closes down, 1923, here.
|H. J. Arnold Barbershop, 1916, corner of Main and Falmouth Streets||Soda Fountain at Theobald’s Drug Store||Bank of Williamstown
Jim Webb’s History of the Bank of Williamstown is here.
|J. C. Fortner Motor Sales, Williamstown|
D & H Restaurant
The Home of Good Food
Charles Estridge, Prop.
Steaks - Chops - Jack Salmon
Phone 364 - Williamstown
|Insurance underwriter records compiled in 1892 suggest that a distillery was located 3 miles west of Williamstown. It was of frame construction with a shingle roof and fed a single bonded warehouse, also of frame construction with a shingle roof, 350 ft from the still. At that time, it was owned by the Littell Bros. This map is from 1910.|
|Williamstown Sentinel calls it quits.||Grant County road house demanded closed.|
|In 1896 the City of Williamstown passed an ordinance that required a permit for people selling “foreign fruits” on the streets. You know, like bananas. Read it here.||"[The only complaint with the Williamstown phone system] is that of children talking over the lines for idle purposes and amusements. This should not be permitted by parties renting phones.” Williamstown Courier October 19, 1899|
|“H. C. Musselman estimates that the 50 rat traps sold by him this season has caught no less than 15,000 rats. Tom Wallace is the champion rat catcher, having caught 440 to date in one trap and some very fine specimens among them.” The Williamstown Courier September 2, 1897|
|In 1891, the Williamstown Courier published a list of all of the cities to which it mailed subscribers papers. Fascinating. That list is here.|
|“R. H. Elliston & Co. have purchased a new rubber tire carriage for their undertaking business.” from the Williamstown Courier, January 22, 1903||Stagecoach Days in Williamstown, here.|