Monmouth, looking north.
That's the old library (se corner of 4th & Monmouth) on the far left.
|J. Weingartner Planing Mill, Manufacturers of Doors Blinds & Sash, Dealers in Lumber, Shingles & Laths (This is an old photograph, which has two addresses on the back, 305 Monmouth and 1027 Monmouth, and date 1876). Details about Weingartner's.||Winkler & Bonhajo, 109 Monmouth, c. 1890. Bonhajo disappears from later city directories, but Winkler listed his business in later years as a “horse shoer,” often a separate and distinct business from a blacksmith. He would later move his shop to 519 Monmouth.|
from a Facebook post by Sandy Thornton
|Maerton Brothers Flour & Feed, c. 1890
Wholesale and Retail Dealers in
Oats, Corn, and Hay
283 Monmouth near Tibbets
|The tin shop of Rudolph
1035 Monmouth. Horse Covers, Tents, Tarpaulins
From a Facebook post by Bonnie Hoffman and Mike Flerlage
|Kraus Awnings entry in the 1915 Christmas Parade. Image is taken at the Wiedemann Brewery. From a Facebook post by Bonnie Hoffman|
|Colonial Theater, 943 Monmouth
Note Krogers on the right. (Barney Kroger lived at 624 Monroe, between Sixth and Seventh, and was married at Immaculate Conception in Newport.)
|The Strand, 1945
Opened in 1916, the Strand at 827 Monmouth St. in Newport was purchased by Gus Phillips in 1927 for $140,000. This was the site of Northern Kentucky's first “talking” movie, In Old Arizona, in 1929.
|This is a list of movie theaters in Newport in 1916. Talking pictures didn't arrive until 1927, so you can see that ten years before “talkies,” silent film viewing was a thriving business in Newport.|
from a Facebook post by Dan Edwards
From a Facebook post by Will Lack
Monmouth and Sixth
|Marx Furniture, 1912||Marx Furniture, 1956|
See the Marx furniture catalog. (pdf)
The Monmouth Street Business District is on the National Register
of Historic Places. The application (pdf) contains lots of images, history, and architectural details.
|Louis Marx & Bros. Furniture
|Louis Marx & Brothers
(Louis, and brothers Milton and Simon)
Fred Miller's Lumber was at 1028 Monmouth. No idea where this was taken.
Note the Marx Furniture ad on his umbrella. 1910.
A description of Fred Miller's from 1909 is here.
Dixie Chili is on the web here.
|Becker Brothers Meats, 942 Monmouth, c.1930's
from a Facebook Post by Mike Becker
|Gieskemeyer & Winkler's
Note the dog on a stretcher.
|Dr. Jacob and Jack Winkler's
Small Animal Hospital,
|from Facebook posts by Barbara Sparks Rawe|
|Two locations of the grocery of William Enzweiler. The one on the left was on the northeast corner of 6th and Overton. The center image was at the southeast corner of Monmouth and 4th. Note the Highland Dairy wagon on the left in the center picture. From a Facebook post by Enzweiler's grand-daughter, Jeanne Greiser|
|A. Ebert & Sons Meat Market
937 Monmouth Street
Milk and Dairy, 1898,
642 Monmouth Street
Read more about Raymond Lippert and his business here. (pdf)
|Eilerman's Mens Stores
Newport Store at 818 Monmouth
Thanks to R J Yoder for the image!
|Eilerman's Mens Stores
Newport Store at 818 Monmouth
|A Description of the Newport Eilerman Building is here.|
The Fischer Brothers, Hardware & Farm Implements had three locations: in Covington, 1046 Madison; in Newport, 729 Monmouth; and in Latonia, at 10 W. Southern. In the image here, the Covington location is in the center/left. We assume that's Newport on the right, and Latonia on the top.
|603 Monmouth, c. 1930
Home of the Kentucky Division
of the American Automobile Club
|Barker House Hotel, 1922
Ninth & Monmouth
Opened July 12, 1937
From a Facebook post by Old Photos of Newport
You're looking east, from Monmouth toward NewCath.
There's a strip mall and a bank on this site today.
From a Facebook post by Ken Broomall
Alber's Grocery, 1938
Sixth and Monmouth
From a Facebook post by Greg Eyler
|Meister's Dry Goods, 704 Monmouth
The picture on the left appeared in the Kentucky Post on July 10, 1958, along with a history of the business, as they celebrated their 50th anniversary. From a Facebook post by Dave Meister
Shopping Center Construction, July, 1955
|Site prep at the shopping center.
from the Facebook page of the Newport Shopping Center
|The shopping center in the early 1960's
from a Facebook post by Joy Friday
| Walt's Bowling Center in the
Newport Shopping Center, 1959
|Like a number of businesses in Newport, the shopping center was reportedly owned by the members of the Cleveland Four, Moe Dalitz, Morris Kleinman, Louis Rothkopf and Sam Tucker, members of what today we call organized crime.|
|There were two grand openings for the shopping center. The first stores opened in 1955, and they celebrated that, and then when all the stores had opened, they had another grand opening, as shown here. The ad is from a Facebook post by Barbara Sparks Rawe|
|Newport Shopping Center
when it opened, in 1955.
Read more about that, here.
|Two pics of the addition to the shopping center
from 1981, before the addition was built.
Kinda dull, but we see Frisch's in the lower left
of the picture on the left.
From a Facebook post by KOI Auto Parts
|Neltner's, From a Facebook post by KOI Auto Parts||Neltners, 1952
across US 27 from Newport
|Looking East 18th St./Neltners, November 19, 1954, to what's becoming the Newport Shopping Center
from a Facebook post by Bev Achzehner Harber
|Fausz Brothers Restaurant
from Facebook posts by Louise Mcgue
from a Facebook post by Ron Hofstede
(the white car is a 1954 Kaiser)
from a Facebook post by Debbie McDonald Kolp
from a Facebook post at Old Photos
of Northern Kentucky
|Menu from a Facebook post by Barbara Sparks Rawe|
Herbies, before that, Scotty's
Roughly where there's a Penn Station now, across from Walgreens.
100 years ago, across from the tollgate that stood where Walgreens is.
from a Facebook posting by Shirley Turner
7th & Monmouth
|N. C. Davis, Millinery,
623 York, 1907
|Rose Landy's Millinery,
807 Monmouth, 1907
|Koehler Brothers Auto Sales,
1 block from the end of the free bridge, 3 minutes from Fountain Square
Koehler's garage in the center image at 317 Monmouth.
Two images on the left from a Facebook post by John Thompson, and thanks to Jeffrey Schraer for identifying the garage location.
|Crystal Chili, 1955||Campbell County Motors, Inc.
1028-32 Monmouth Street,
New Cars - new Trucks
Used Cars Used Trucks
“Our Greatest Aim - To Satisfy”
John Steinhauser was a jeweler and watchmaker.
This store is believed to be at 141 Monmouth
|W. F. Miller, Cutlery, Hardware & Guns 817 Monmouth||Steelman and Wagner Wholesale and Retail Grocers
Nos 1006 and 1008 Monmouth Street
|The Newport Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Offices at No 5 East Fifth Street
|Knight & McGinniss,
Dealers in Staple and Fancy Groceries, Corner
Fourth and Monmouth Streets
Frances Scholle compiled a list of Breweries that existed in Campbell county. It's here (pdf).
|Descriptions of four Newport Businesses from 1891.|
From a Facebook post by Candi Thomas
This is a list of many - not all -
Newport business in 1917, and lists the number of people each employed.
from the Twenty-Second Biennial Report of the Bureau of Agriculture, Labor and Statistics of Kentucky for 1916-1917. The column marked "C" is for children
Newport Milling Co, c. 1901
|“Newport, Ky., Feb. 10. - At an early hour Wednesday morning, Newport was visited by a $10,000 blaze. The fire almost totally destroyed the Wehenbold Milling Co.'s mill at 11th and Monmouth streets. The sire started on the third floor of the mill from unknown causes. It is thought, however, that it was due to spontaneous combustion.” from Richmond, Kentucky's The Climax, Feb. 17, 1897.||“Newport, Ky., July 19. - Fire started this evening in the oil room of Unnewehr's sawmill, probably caused by a gasoline explosion. Within two hours the flames, fanned by a strong breeze, had spread two squares south and east two blocks. The Covington (Ky.) and Cincinnati fire departments were called on and sent a number of engines. Fifty families are rendered homeless. Loss estimated to be between $125,000 and $150,000, with but comparatively little insurance.” NY Times, July 20, 1898.|
|“A firm in Newport lately shipped to Boston, Mass., 50,000 feet of poplar backing for picture frames, and 75,000 feet of drawer bottom material.” Courier-Journal, August 9, 1870||Canon explodes inside a Monmouth Street Bar.|
|We know that there were at least these newspapers in pre-Civil War Newport. The dates represent issues that have been found, or referenced, not a start or stop date. The division symbols indicate also publishing after the war.|
|We have no idea where in
Newport's Hooper and Ferris'
Nursery was located in 1846.
1895, Telephone 4160
|Stone & Veith
|H. Minges & Sons
|Costigan & Roll Funeral Home, 1908||Old Brown Jug Distillery||C. Sinning,
Tea Caddies, 1886
|Newport Sand Bank