|St. Joseph in the Hills,
from a Facebook posting by John Blenke
|St. Joseph in the Hills, c 1950, Camp Springs, Kentucky||Camp Springs Fire Department|
J. Winston Coleman ran a weekly series in the Lexington Herald featuring
various Kentucky sites. On February 21, 1965, he picked St. Joseph's. See it here. (pdf)
History of St. John's Lutheran Church in Camp Springs, here (pdf).
|“Camp Springs - A graphaphone concert and festival will be given Saturday evening, October 10, at Uthe's Hall for the benefit of the Tug-Fork School. Two hours of enjoyment will be furnished by that wonderful instrument which reproduces the songs of noted singers, popular selections by famous bands and comic recitations by well known comedians.” from the Kentucky Journal, of October 18, 1900|
World War I saw a hideous chapter in American history, with German paranoia leaking out of every half-wit in the country. This example is from Camp Springs. For a more detailed Northern Kentucky look, check out Lisa Gilliam's history of the Charles B. Schoborg affair in Latonia, a pdf, here.
Don Baumann's 22 part history of Camp Springs' families is at this site.
B. Bleser, Wagon Maker
from a Facebook post by Donna Thelen Roser
St. Joseph House, c. 1900
From a Facebook post by John Blenke
Camp Springs Tavern
“Matthias Kremer was a shoe cobbler. Purchased the land on what is now Stonehouse Road and built the Tavern (with the same bricks as St Joseph Church) in 1865. Before the Tavern was built there were acres of vineyards, and each year Matthias' crop helped pay for the land. We don't have a confirmed photo of ol' Matthias (d1884) but we know he resides on the other side of the hill in the graveyard. The Tavern has been used as a post office, general store, mass on Sunday (when the hill was not passable), the ice room held bodies in wait for burial and for the drink.” Also from a Facebook post by the Camp Springs Tavern
|Blau's Four Mile House
||Camp Springs Tavern
|St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church
|Reitman's St. Joseph's House||Nicholas Reitman House|
The Pictures above are from Mark Ramler's Camp Springs, Ky, A History, Design Analysis, and Preservations Guidelines book about the remarkable stone houses of Camp Springs. A highly recommended read if you can find it. Thanks to Mark for letting us use some of his pictures.
|The Camp Spring/Four Mile Creek neighborhood is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The application contains lots of images, history, and architectural details. From 1983. In addition, many individual properties are listed separately, those include these (all pdf's):
|Peter Barth Farm||Baumann House||Bishoff House|
|Blau's Four Mile House||Braun House||Blenk House|
|Braun House||Camp Springs House||Faha House|
|Gubser-Schuchter House||Heiert Farm||Hilbert Farm|
|Kort Grocery||Kremer House (Frederick)||Kremer House (Nicholas)|
|Kremer House (Matthias)||Leick House||Ort-Heeb House|
|Reitman House||Reitman-St. Joseph's House||Ritter Farm|
|Roth Farm||Sauser Farm||St. John's Cemetery|
|St. Joseph's||Tiemeyer House||Trutschell|
|Uebel House||Walter House||Weber Farm|
|Camp Springs VFD||Camp Springs VFD|
|July 16, 1953
Key to names