other kenton scenes

Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene



Kenton County Scene

The Old Stone Bridge at Sandfordtown, a sketch by
E. T. Hurley. Accompanying text is here.

I-275 Construction in
An AP Wire Photo from 1973


Holy Guardian Angel
School, Sandfordtown,



Chisel Bridge
Chisel Bridge, just south of Sandfordtown. Site of LOTS of automobile wrecks. From a Facebook post by Dennis Kendall


Holy Guardian

Sandfordtown token from John Haubner's Farmers Exchange
from a Facebook post by Edwin Morris


Sandfordtown Blue Star Holy Guardian
Sandfordtown, and Holy Guardian Church and School. That's the altar on the right.
(On Rt. 17, that's Dudley going left at the church.) Altar image from a Facebook post by Connie Mathews Martin

Hand Road

This Caroline Williams sketch is on “Hand Road.”
We assume they meant Hand's Pike

Cherokee Cherokee

Cherokee Acres, just getting rolling, early 1960's
From a Facebook post by Jerad Moore

  Cherokee Shopping Center, 1975
From a Facebook post by Jerad Moore


Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene
New Banklick Baptist Church

“The picnic at Banklick Saturday was not so extensively attended as it might have been, but likely never will be surpassed for genuine jollity, polished hopping, and restrained rural rooster pluck.” From Covington"s Daily Commonwealth, July 24, 1879 

There's a plan to control Banklick Creek flooding. From 1970. Here.

Flooding is an issue on Banklick. In 1931. Here.

Bank Lick Pike formally established in 1839. Here.



Banklick Creek, 1920's


Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene
Miller's Grocery, Nicholson

This map from 1865 shows a town at Nicholson's location, but the place is named California.

“Kenton-co wool growers may make deliveries Monday and Tuesday at Nicholson, Ky., 2 1/2 miles from Independence, S. W. Durr, president, and W. Haden Ware secretary of the Kenton County Wool Growers Association announced Wednesday.  A licensed U. S. grader will be furnished for the Wool Growers Association members.”  Kentucky Post, June 14, 1933

Latonia Lakes

Latonia Lakes isn't in Latonia. It's in Taylor Mill.
Bob Webster has written about it's background at this site (pdf).

kenton line

Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene
Raising Chickens in Kenton County, 1924 Blackberry farming in Kenton County, 1928 The ladies of Oak Island Community can for the relief effort, 1931
All three of these were published by the Kentucky Agricultural Extension Service


Jumbo's Jumbo's Texaco
The first Jumbo's, Dudley
at Brookwood, c. 1957
The second Jumbo's,
c. 1960
Texaco Station on Dudley Pike
at Brookwood, c. 1955
Carl “ Jumbo” Foltz, Jr. , proprietor from a Facebook post by Gayle Scalf
submitted to the Facebook Page Old Northern Kentucky, by Gerald Scalf  


Park Hills Park Hills Park Hills
Rose Circle and Park Road Park, Rose, & Amsterdam, c. 1925 Lawton Road, C. 1940
That's Jack Murphy in the photo.
All three of these are from the Park Hills Facebook Page.


Park Hills, Ky Park Hills
Park Hills Plat, 1925
A big thanks to Jim Pfaller for this help in bringing you this one
Park Hills Home Beautiful
Kentucky Post, August 19, 1903


Park Hills

Crestview Hills, July 6, 1924
“Race Restricted”
from a Facebook post by George Smed, Jr.



Crestview Hills
Kentucky Post, May 17, 1925



Barrington Woods
Kentucky Post, May 17, 1925


Park Hills

Carney's Furniture Store, Arlington and Dixie in Park Hills, 1955
From a Facebook post by Sue Roeding Lanter

Kenton County Scene Park Hills


Park Hills Elementery

A Scene in Park Hills, 1929 Park Hills
From a Facebook post by Park Hills, Ky
Park Hills Elementary
From a Facebook post by Bryan Meade

Dr. Paul Tenkotte writes about the origins of Park Hills, and its “Happy Homes,” at this site.


Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene

Dixie Highway, somewhere
in Kenton County, c. 1918. In 1918, the "Dixie Highway"
could refer to what you know as Rts. 16, 0r 17, or 25, or 27.

On the Falmouth - Covington Road North of Piner. On 16?  Grassy Creek?


Circa 1920,  the Kentucky Highway Department published some pictures of the progress the state was making on road construction.  The image on the left is a Glutin Road (Glutin's a construction material), State Road 59c; and the road on the right demonstrates “Bermuda Asphalt Penetration.” Both are listed as being in “Kenton County.”

kenton line

Bracht, Ky Bracht, Ky

Bracht Depot

Bracht Depot, September, 1911
(a Kentuckiana Virtual Library image)

“The general dry goods store here of the R. H. Stansifer Co., at Bracht's Station . . . was robbed
Sunday of dry goods, etc., to the extent of about $700.  Elmer Stansifer went to Newport for bloodhounds.” from Maysville's Daily Public Ledger, February 25, 1896

Bracht was named for Grant County's Major F. M. Bracht.

Man shoots four in an 1898 shootout at a Bracht saloon, story here.

Bracht, Ky Bracht, Ky
Key West, 1880's Key West is just south of Bracht



Railroad Section House in Bracht
21 miles to Ludlow, 314 to Chattanooga

Pleasure Isle Shamrock Inn
Shamrock Inn
From a Facebook post by Wayne Carlisle
Shamrock Inn
From a Facebook post by John Engelman
Read Wayne Carlisle's post that went with this picture here. The Shamrock had a separate door, and a separate area inside for African-Americans. It was, for its day, a progressive step. The Inn burned in 2012.

  kenton line

Ice, 1917-1918 Ice, 1917-1918
Piner Baptist Church Piner Couple. Details
In 1854, Piner's Cross Roads claimed a school, a church, a cigar factory, and a blacksmith shop, and shared a post office with Fiskburg. The Fisk family, from Maine, began settling in the area in the 1820's.

Piner has a big shootout/robbery in 1931. A month later, another robbery.

Experts say there's a giant oil field between Bracht and Crittenden.
“The application of S. S. Mullins to keep a tavern at Key West, Ky., was granted yesterday by Judge Shine. There was a protest against it, but the Judge decided that the other crowd was the largest.” Cincinnati Enquirer, July 28, 1894
The Bracht-Piner Road was opened on December 18, 1926 and was described as the first road to connect “the eastern and western portions” of the Dixie Highway.  The Covington Auto Club even debated which side was shortest. The resolution is here.

Piner High School was dedicated on Sept. 27, 1914.  It was a frame building, and contained four classrooms and two halls, and was “beautifully situated on the Independence Pike.”

Kentucky Governor Ruby Laffoon spoke at Piner High School in 1933 to a crowd of 250.

kenton line


“Kentucky's largest meteorite was found in Kenton County in August, 1889, on a farm
 eight miles from Independence by George Cornelius.  It weighed 360 pounds.” 
Louisville Courier Journal, September 1, 1940


Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene
On the left is a page from William D. Ehmann's Space Visitors in Kentucky: Meteorites and Meteorite Impact Sites in Kentucky on the Independence meteorite.  More about the one that hit Williamstown is here, or you can find the entire publication on line here.  It's a 53 page long pdf.  The drawing on the right is from the Rochester Academy of Science, which acquired it.

kenton line

Spring Lake

Spring Lake, burned down in 1969
From a Facebook post by Tricia Shawn Gibbons

Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene Latonia Firemen Latonia Firemen
The author of the postcard on the left describes this as “Our Home, 'Locust Point' at Spring Lake, Ky.”  It's postmarked in Springlake (one word) in 1909. Card on the right is 1910. Hackett's Store Mr. A. Campbell, & family

The Spring Lake community was east of Decoursey Road, near the south end of the L&N DeCoursey railroad yards.  The area was called Grant's Bend until roughly 1899, and there was discussion in 1906 to build a horse racing track there to compete with Latonia.  There's a picture of the Spring Lake Elementary School, below.

“Last night, James Bass, a farmer living at Spring Lake, just seven miles from Covington, received a visit from the Night Riders, who told him that he should cease growing tobacco or suffer the consequences.” Kentucky Post, April 18, 1908.

The threat is an episode in the 1908 Tobacco Wars in Kentucky.


Dixie Heights

Dixie Heights High School, final construction, Spring, 1936
from a Facebook post by Nate Thamann


Dixie Heights & Its Elementary Schools, 1948
Kenton County Scene

Kenton County Scene

Kenton County Scene
Spring Lake

Dixie Heights

The architect of the Dixie Heights building was Howard McClory.

Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene
Forest Hills
Park Hills Crescent Springs

The history of Crestview Hills is at the city's website.

Another is at the Northern Kentucky Magazine's site.



Edgewood's Hinsdale School


Kenton County Scene

Kenton County Scene Fishing and Hunting Club

Schools Busses at Dixie, 1948

Edgewood / Erlanger Aerial
That's Dixie Heights in the top center

Dixie Heights Fishing and Hunting Club, 1946

kenton line

Taylor Mill Elementary Taylor Mill Elementary Taylor Mill Elementary Taylor Mill Elementary
Taylor Mill gets a new elementary school for it's 460 pupils.

kenton line

Pleasure Isle Pleasure Isle
Pleasure Isle, 1936
Thanks to Dale Ashcraft for this one. Photo by Emma Hahn Ashcraft
  Pleasure Isle
From a Facebook post by Arlina Lag

Read Deborah Kremer's feature on Pleasure Isle here.


Pleasure Isle Pleasure Isle Pleasure Isle Pleasure Isle Pleasure Isle

Pleasure Isle, West of the creek at Rt. 17 and Hand's Pike
from Facebook posts by Darlene Klein Bunch, whose grandfather managed Pleasure Isle.

kenton line

St.Charles St.Charles St.Charles St.Charles
St.Charles St.Charles St.Charles St.Charles
St. Charles Nursing Home

kenton line

Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene

Covington - Kenton County
Tuberculosis Sanatorium
on Farrell Drive, off Kyles Lane.  a.k.a. “The Pest House”

Odilo “Shorty” Siegrist advertising a Ft. Wright Festival at 5th and
Madison in Covington.

Fort Wright Fire Department

1937 Flood, Covington, Ky 1937 Flood, Covington, Ky
Fort Wright Fire Department
From a Facebook post by Reen Mack


Dixie Gardens

Dixie Gardens Drive In


Dixie Gardens

St. Agnes, in Park Hills


Dixie Gardens Latonia Firemen
Dixie Gardens
Movies in Your Car!
Looking South on Dixie, c. 1970's.
from the Facebook page of Park Hills, Ky


Read about the man for whom Fort Wright is named, Gen. Horatio G. Wright, at Wikipedia, here, or you can read Chester Geaslen's article on Wright from the Enquirer, here.

Fort Wright has absorbed many smaller Kenton County communities over the years.  South Hills was annexed in 1960, Lookout Heights in 1967, and Lakeview in 1977.


The Huckster wagon of Lloyd and Holbert Bridges operated in southern Kenton in the 1930's.
from a Facebook post by Joseph Harvey, a grandson and great nephew of the Bridges


Wilmington Baptist, Fiskburg
Taken at it's dedication, August, 1953.  Read the story here.  (pdf)
This little church can trace its roots back to 1804!  How old is 1804?  Try here.

Wilmington established in 1793. In what is now Kenton County. “John Grant was the 1st white man who settled in the territory we now know as Kenton County.  His settlement was made on Licking River some 13 miles from its mouth.  The place was afterwards dignified with the name of Wilmington, and there the 1st court for Campbell County, then including all this region, was held.” the Paris, Ky. Western Citizen, March 21, 1851, in the Draper Papers, 11CC48

kenton line

Fiskburg Bus

The Fiskburg-Covington Bus, a 1914 International Harvester


Fiskburg Fiskburg
M. H. Frost Store, Fiskburg

The Fiskburg Garage
from the Bulletin of the Kenton County Historical Society

kenton line

“Fiskburg is located on the Independence and Colesmanville [Harrison County] pike, 21 miles from Covington, and six miles from Morning View.  We have a post office, school, church, blacksmith shop, one store, cigar factory, toll gate, doctor and preachers.  We also have a Grange, Temple of Honor, and a Masonic Hall.  We want and must have a pike from here to Morning View [where the railroad is].  The sooner the better.”  from the Newport Local, September 5, 1878.

kenton line

Kenton Hills Kenton Hills
April 15, 1879 , land sale of property between Northern Erlanger (Greenwood Station) and roughly where Dixie Heights is (Kenton Heights Station). Note that north points to the lower right on this plat.

“Key Hole. This village is situated between Kenton Heights and Greenwood, on the
Southern Railroad. The inhabitants are fisherman, loungers, and stem winders.” from Covington's Daily Commonwealth, March 13, 1879

kenton line

Summit Hiolls Site

Hartke Dairy Farm, 1929, before it became Summit Hills
from Facebook post by Chuck Eilerman


Summit Hills

Aerial View of Summit Hills Country Club


Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene

Thomas More Foundation
had some real estate for
sale in 1986.

A still earlier view of
what would be
Thomas More.

Thomas More
College, c. 1973


The Kentucky Tribune has a multi-part history of Thomas More at their site:
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4
Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8
Part 9 Part 10 Part 11 Part 12
Part 13 Part 14 Part 15 Part 16
Part 17 Part 18 Part 19 Part 20
Part 21 Part 22 Part 23 Part 24
Part 25 Part 26 Part 27 Part 28
Part 29 Part 30 Part 31 Part 32
Part 33 Part 34 Part 35 Part 36

Lawsuit over repair of Taylor's Mill Bridge, here.

Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene
Tunnel Hill, near Covington
A Union outlook to watch for
Confederate troops threatening
Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati,
from Frank Leslie's Illustrated, Oct 4, 1862.

You know Fort Wright and Fort Mitchel,
but can you place Northern Kentucky's
Fort Rich?  Fort Perry? Here's a complete
(but see to the right) list of Civil War
fortifications in Northern Kentucky. 
See also a Chester Geaslen letter here.(pdf)

Camp King & Battery Overlook
the Covington& Lexington RR. 
But I find no Camp King
in the listing to the left.
from The Pictorial War
Record, c. 1880.
Additional Information about the Civil War in Northern Kentucky is at NKY Views Civil War Page, here.

Dr. Richard Cardosi has a video featuring Bates Battery, from the Civil War, on YouTube
It's number 20 on the battery map above.


Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene

Bank Lick Creek
Artist: G. N. Frankenstein ;
Engraver: F. Humphreys.
This scene was published in an American
literary and art journal in 1849.  We've read
that it depicts a scene “a mile
 above its junction with the Licking River.”

“Only a few curious spectators were on hand
Sunday as the Ku Klux Klan continued its
membership drive in Northern Kentucky. 
The scene is the Old Sandfordtown Ball Park
on Ky. 17, where a Klan rally and cross burning
Saturday night was marked by scuffles between
Klansmen and newsmen, foremen and spectators.” 
Cincinnati Enquirer, Sept. 27, 1965

Kenton County Scene Kenton County Scene
Northern Kentucky Health Occupations
790 Thomas More Parkway
Northern Kentucky State
Vocational Technical School
1025 Amsterdam Road

kenton line

Kenton County Tavern Rates, 1883
Meals, each    40 cts
Lodging    40 cts
Common whiskey, per drink    05 cts
All Other Whiskey, per drink    10 cts
Brandy, rum, gin, wine, etc    15 cts
Grain or feed, per gallon    25 cts
Horses, per night, hay or grain    40 cts
Pasturage, per day    10 cts

From the Covington Daily Commonwealth, April 24, 1883

kenton line

Atwood was named for Atwood Bird, a bank president in Independence whose grandfather came to the place now known as Atwood in 1813.  Fiskburg was named for one Dr. Fisk; Nicholson was named for Dr. H. C. Nicholson, father of the noted builder George Nicholson; Piner , at one time Piner Crossroads, was named for Brack Piner, a storekeeper there, after the name Goshen was disallowed; and Whites Tower was named for one George White, who farmed 300 acres in that area.
White's Tower is named for a large white tower that stood there, and was torn down in the 1920's. We're sure somebody out there has a picture of it, but it has not to date surfaced.
“A Temperance Reform Club was organized at Staffordsville, Kenton county, Kentucky, on last Sunday. An able address on the subject of temperance was delivered by General John W. Finnell, and twenty-five persons were induced to pledge themselves to total abstinence from all intoxicating liquors.” Courier-Journal, June 10, 1869
“In the County Court, yesterday, Thomas F. Holmes was granted the privilege of running a ferry for five years across the Licking river at the road leading from Independence to Alexandria.”  The Daily Commonwealth,  September 28, 1880. Deed restrictions that can seem reasonable in some decades, can be way beyond quaint as time passes.  Check out this deed restriction from a 1881 mortgage in Visalia.
Fire from lightening hits Visalia in 1882.  Story's here. In 1835, the mail route for Visalia was “From Barry, by Visalia, Alexandria, Carthage, Flagg Springs, to Point Pleasant, Ohio, 25 miles, and back, once a week.” from the Kentucky Gazette, August 29, 1835
The naming of Visalia, here.
Crime spree in Visalia, here
Visalia incorporates as a city. Read the 1869 act is here.

A pair of short items about Visalia from 1878 are here.

Historic Visalia property changes hands in 1934, more here.

“A new sect of Baptists, called the Berean, has organized a church at Visalia, on the K. C. [Kentucky Central].  It is the only one in the State and their particular belief is that while the righteous enjoy eternal bliss, the wicked merely perish out of existence, there being no hereafter with them.  They believe in the special providence of God, and are in number at that place of about 50.” from Standford, Ky.'s Semi-Weekly Interior Journal, June 29, 1886

General John Finnell's 1880 Raspberry Festival in Visalia, here.  Finnell's Grove was a popular amusement venue of the time.  St. Patricks held a fund raising picnic there on June 25, 1871,  the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers held their annual picnic there on June 28, 1873, and the Merry Young Bachelors of Canton Station gave a picnic there on August 5, 1871.

kenton line


Announcement from Covington's The Ticket, May 3, 1877

kenton line


Thieves try to derail a train near Visalia.  Story's here.

kenton line

“At the late term of the Kenton County Court the right to run a ferry across Licking river from Visalia, or Canton, as it is more generally called, was granted to F. M. Kennedy for twenty years.  He is to use a boat propelled by oars, 8 feet wide and 32 feet long, also a skiff 16 feet long and 4 feet wide.  The rates of ferriage are fixed as follows:  Foot passengers, 10 cents; horse 10 cents; sheep, hogs, and lambs, 2 cents each; hogsheads of tobacco, 10 cents; two wheeled carriage, or cart, 20 cents.” from the Covington Journal, March 5, 1870.

kenton line 

In the 1870's the Covington's Commonwealth, later the Daily Commonwealth, published any number of letters from correspondents from various communities in Kenton County.  Some of the names may well have existed solely in the contributor's mind. Everybody knows about Piner and Atwood and Nicholson, but how are you on these?

Pickettsville.  “This is a beautiful village, situated about one mile south of Stewartsville, and about two miles west of Benton Station [Kenton].  It consists of a blacksmith shop, one wagon-maker's shop, a tobacco warehouse, and
several dwelling houses.”   from Covington"s Daily Commonwealth, January 29,1879

Websters Grove.  “Some will wonder where “Websters Grove” is. And we will try and give a description.  This beautiful grove lies about 2 miles west of Benton, 2 miles east of the Colemansville pike, 3 miles north of Point Lookout, 2 miles south of Staffordsburg.  I could say much more of this grove, with its delightful breezes in the summer, but as I fear I have wearied you already, I will desist.” from Covington"s Daily Commonwealth, March 19, 1879
There were two places in Kenton County which had post offices whose locations are not known: Cloyd's Cross Roads, which had a PO from 1830-1835; and Sayers', which had a PO from 1832 to 1835.  We note that Cruise's Creek has a tributary called Sayers' Creek.
Rouseville “This place is situated four miles south of Independence, on the Banklick Pike.  There is one large dry goods store and grocery, one blacksmith shop, one wood shop, and several dwellings.  Mr. Robert Rouse is building the largest tobacco barn in the county.”  from Covington"s Daily Commonwealth, May 2, 1879
Key Hole.  “This village is situated between Kenton Heights and Greenwood, on the Southern Railroad.  The inhabitants are fisherman, loungers, and stem winders.”  from Covington"s Daily Commonwealth, March 13, 1879

Senours' Woods.  “This place is situated six miles from Covington on the Dudley Pike, and is a quiet and peaceable neighborhood.  The farmers are preparing for the spring, making rails and resetting fences.”from Covington"s Daily Commonwealth, February 26, 1879 

Goshen Ford. “Mr. Allen Northcut, a citizen of Kenton county, was attacked Monday night, near Goshen Ford, south of Independence, by six men who knocked him from his horse, and robbed him of about five hundred dollars.”Courier-Journal, August 12, 1869

Point Lookout.  “This place is situated between Cruises Creek and Darby Hollow.”  from Covington"s Daily Commonwealth, February 12, 1879

We also find place names for Bowmansville, Shiloh, Oak Ridge, Morgansville, Susiedale, Proctor, Stewartsville, and Stephen's Store

The Minutes for the Miami Association of Baptists, in 1850,
refer to the Salem Association, at “Crewscreek Church, Kenton Co., Ky.”

Madison Pike

Madison Pike, c. 1851
Painting by Godfrey Frankenstein
From a Facebook post by Paul Saint-Villiers



Bank Lick Valley, Kentucky 1869
Painting by Godfrey Frankenstein


This item says General John Hunt Morgan was in Sandfordtown. We have doubts.
This item says General LaFayette visited on Richardson Road. We have doubts.

Iris Spoor's History of Park Hills is here. (pdf)  

George C. Weidner's profile of Edgewood is here. (pdf)  

Crestview Hills has its history on line here.  

kenton line